COLORS

For princessstevens

“Kellan, call me when you get this,” I say hanging up before walking into my building.

He never checks his voicemail so I send him a text too asking him to call me. We go to different schools, he’s in the Bachelor’s program at Brandman for Business and I’m at Alan Hancock for Art. I know he’s probably driving right now or doing something. I remember when I met him, three months ago at Target of all places. I typically don’t even shop at Target, I go to Walmart, but I was in there and so was he with his cute ass. I fell in love in the hair section. I was actually stalking him on my way to the body wash, but he was standing in the hair aisle getting conditioner for his thickass curly hair. We were a match made in heaven. 

“Hey mama,” I greet on my way to the kitchen to cook the pack of chicken sitting out in the sink.  

“How was school? Take that trash bag out for me,” she says before I can respond.

I look in the trash and change the bag, taking the old one to the chute before washing my hands in the empty side of the sink. The moment I rip open the pack of chicken and start washing it, Kellan calls.

“MAAAA, CAN YOU GET THAT?”

She wanders over fast and answers it having her own conversation with my man as I clean chicken. It sounds like they’re talking about how his week has been, his classes, and something that’s got ma laughing up a storm behind me. I didn’t know Kellan was such a comedian. Something about this seems reversed. I keep waiting but I never get the phone so when I heat the oil and start dredging the chicken, I decide to butt into their conversation and ask.

“Uh, ma, can you put it on speaker so I can talk to him, he called to talk to me!” I start putting the chicken in the hot oil.

“Oh hold on, Kellan, my daughter is here getting her knickers in a twist,” she mutters putting the phone on speaker. “I think she wants your attention now all to herself.”

Kellan snickers. He and my mama are always teaming up on me like it’s funny. 

“I know you not laughing,” I threaten at the phone, dropping chicken in the pan. “I’ve been trying to talk to you all day because I missed you but you wanna talk to my mama for-” I look at the time, “Five whole minutes.”

“Awww, this baby.. she jealous,” Kellan chuckles. “I think she mad you like me more than her.”

“Keep acting like you tryna take my Mama from me, nigga. I ain’t down with no incestuous shi-stuff,” I pause genuinely mad. “You ain’t finna be my man and act like my brother, I got a brother. That’s nasty.”

I don’t know why I get mad, but I do. I love my mama. She’s mine, not his.. I love Kellan, but he be annoying me for real with that shit because my mama gets too into it like she’s not playing. She really does like him more than me. He doesn’t understand that and keeps rubbing it in my face.

“You got one more time and you ain’t coming over here no more.”

“That’s our mama’s decision,” he jokes. I cringe. 

“Exactly,” she adds.

I put the tongs down and walk out going to my room and shutting the door. I was gonna tell him about COLORS and invite him to come with me but he’s pissed me off and now I don’t want to talk to him. My mama doesn’t even bring my phone right away, it’s two more minutes of them still talking. When she brings it, I yell that I don’t wanna talk to him. “Well finish the chicken,” she directs. I do it.. but I’m still irritated.