45

author pov

"where is he?" taehyung sighs as he was an hour late. the front door weakly opens and closes, keys being thrown into the bowl as their dad sluggishly walks in, stopping in his tracks when he sees namjoon and rubbing his eyes as he was so tired he wouldn't be surprised if he was hallucinating.

"are my eyes playing tricks on me or is namjoon back?" he asks and namjoon stands up and heads towards him, the tired scientist gasping and engulfing his son in the biggest hug he could muster in his tired state, "oh my beautiful son."

"i missed you dad," namjoon whispers, "go to bed dad, you're exhausted."

"but you-"

"i'm here for a week, go," he smiles and they say good night to him as he makes his way up the stairs. the two kids come back when he goes up as dowoon had a weird burn on him.

"hyungie it hurts," he whimpers and namjoon cringes as it's pretty bad.

"layla did you play with sun crystals with your friends today?" namjoon asks and she nods hesitantly, eyes filling with tears, "hey you're not in trouble, accidents happen."

"go wash your hands angel," jin whispers and she runs to the bathroom while namjoon puts moon dust into his brother's burn.

"ah hyung!" he yelps and tries to take his arm back.

"you're doing great little star, it'll be over soon," namjoon whispers and rubs his back. he takes it off and the burn is gone, dowoon cuddling close to his big brother while namjoon praises him for being so brave.

"dowoon-ah have your ever had ice cream?" taehyung asks softly and he shakes his head. taehyung gets up and grabs two bowls, telling layla to go sit down and he'll bring some into her soon. he puts chocolate sauce on both and sprinkles, taking them out for the kids, "here you go."

"thank you uncle taetae," layla smiles and dowoon looks at the bowl curiously.

"it's good, you'll love it," namjoon says and gets some on the spoon for his brother, putting it up to his mouth. dowoon gasps softly and takes the spoon from namjoon to eat at his own pace,
"slow down, you'll get a brain fre-"

"ah!" he whinces and holds his head, namjoon chuckling softly while rubbing his back.

"take your time with it bud or you'll get a brain freeze," he smiles and this time, dowoon eats slowly, thanking taehyung when he finishes

"we should take him to the tree," jin says while rubbing his back, "it'll be good for him."

"tree?" he asks softly and namjoon nods, "i've always wanted to see a tree."

"there will be sand stormers there though so i don't want you to leave my side. the tree we're going to is a very special tree," namjoon explains while playing with the boy's hair, "sand stormers are kind of like layla but very very intimidating and can be mean so please don't run off."

"i thought layla was a sand stormer," taehyung says and both jin and namjoon shake their heads.

"she's a martian," jin replies and taehyung let's out a small 'oh', "we should get going, it's getting kind of late and there's an event going on there."

"alright, let's go."