Chapter 14: Caught in the Act

Chapter Summary: Being back at school is great, besides all the school work and being away from Thatch the whole day. The night was their time- until a fellow student follows them into the forest.

Finding Thatch after that outburst was impossible. The bell rang and they were all summoned back to their classes, where talking to each other wasn't really possible with the pop quiz Dr. Burns decided to give. Casper was unsure of how well he did that quiz because he was one of the last ones to finish. He couldn't focus because he kept hearing other students whisper to each other, but it wasn't them cheating on the test. He could hear whispers of Thatch's name and it was making him nervous.

He couldn't even turn around to look at Thatch because everyone would see. He would just have to wait until tonight... And so he did his best.

He focused and worked, plowing through the day and looking forward to the night. The second they were sent to their bedroom Casper rushed to his bed and jumped right under the covers. He curled up and fell silent, knowing Ra would read his body language and just go to bed as well. He shut his blue eyes tightly, waiting and listening as he did the nights before. This wait didn't feel so long- perhaps he was getting used to it or maybe everyone just fell asleep fast tonight, it didn't matter too much. Casper listened, and at the slightest sound of Thatch's coffin he rose out of bed and hurried over, his feet hovering just above the floor so he didn't make a sound. He helped Thatch out of his coffin, smiling brightly at the vampire. Finally, he got to see Thatch.

The vampire shyly smiled at the ghost as he shut the lid on his coffin before making a motion for the door. The two silently left, and once the dorm door shut Thatch pulled the ghost close, hugging the smaller male tightly. "I'm glad you stayed up," he whispered softly.

"Of course," Casper replied happily, nuzzling closer to the vampire. "Let's get to the forest quickly." Thatch nodded and the two held each other's hands, rushing through the halls faster than they normally did.

The second they stepped outside the castle they were laughing and full-on sprinting towards the forest, fingers still laced in the other's hand. Casper ran alongside Thatch, deciding to play fair and not just float along. It was only fair after all. Once the two students entered the woods they slowed down, softly laughing as they sat by their favored tree.

"We're so going to get caught one night." Thatch laughed happily.

"Maybe, but this is worth the risk," Casper chimed happily as he leaned against the vampire. Thatch chuckled and contently rested back, letting his eyes shut. Casper decided to start up their little game, to check in on the vampire.

"Are you ok? After the fight today I mean..." Casper gently asked, nudging Thatch's side. The vampire hummed lightly in thought.

"Well... Mostly ok, I guess. Just annoyed. That dumb werewolf bit my cape, nearly ripped it too! I'm glad it's really strong." He sighed. "That damn mutt only managed to get slobber onto it." Casper nodded and was about to ask another question when he remembered their little rules.

"Your turn." He spoke, earning a smile from the peaceful monster.

"Okay okay, I see..." He hummed softly as he realized what was going on. "Are YOU ok? Ra treating you well? Classes ok?" He gently asked, his arm wrapped around Casper's hips to keep the ghost boy close and safe.

"I'm fine, Thatch." Casper smiled and gazed up at the other, studying him. From his calm expression to his messed up hair. Thatch was perfection in a vampire's body. Casper was able to identify the scent of Thatch. The ever-lingering presence of firewood and strawberries clung to him no matter what the other seemed to do. Casper could remember the first few nights when he had pondered, wondering what it was. Now it was as simple as day and night.