Chapter 38: My Father's Steps

Chapter Summary: After trying something new, and failing the couple is surprised by Ra. After a quick catch up the trio heads up into the tower.

The two sat by the pond, enjoying the cool air, the sweet scent from the flowers and the gentle sounds of the pond. Every once in a while a fish would break the surface, causing a ripple to spread across the smooth surface. Casper found his eyes wandering away from the pond, instead to the high stone walls that surrounded them. The ghost knew outside those walls was a huge forest, and passed the forest in one direction was a lake, and in another a town that they would soon terrorize. But Thatch had mentioned things in the woods, witches, and werewolves. He had a feeling that wasn't true, witches don't randomly stalk around in forests, and werewolves didn't solely live in the forest. He figured that it was only a joke to try to keep the students in line and from wandering.

"I want to try levitating," Thatch said suddenly as he stood up. Casper looked up at Thatch, watching with a curious look as the vampire moved back from the pond, in case he fell.

"But how do you teach yourself? Can you even levitate?" The friendly ghost asked as he stood up as well, nervously following the vampire. "You just learned how to do that weird wind thing," Casper reasoned, but the vampire was stubborn as ever.

"Come on, do what Kibosh did- I don't wanna fly all over the place."

Casper tried not to laugh. "Thatch if you get an inch off the ground I'll be impressed. But fine, I'll hold your hands." The ghost teased, trying not to roll his eyes as he took Thatch's hands in his own, a huge grin plastered across his face.

The situation was rather hilarious. The vampire and ghost were standing outside in the middle of the night, holding hands. Casper really tried not to smile or laugh, even when minutes went by and Thatch was looking terribly frustrated. Casper ended up breaking down with laughter when Thatch did a little bounce on his heels.

"M-maybe you're too young, Thatch?" Casper offered kindly through his giggles. Thatch hissed annoyedly, but Casper felt no worry. Instead, the ghost moved and hugged the grumpy vampire, trying to stifle his giggles. "Thatch it's okay. We got years ahead of us to learn." He offered simply. Thatch grumbled annoyedly but nodded.

"Students should be in bed," Ra called out. The pair turned around, seeing the mummy walking down the stone path, looking annoyed whenever his bandages got caught up on a branch. The pendant around his neck was glowing green, giving the mummy some light.

"You're a student too," Casper smiled and released the vampire. He went over to Ra, saving the mummy the whole trip. Thatch begrudgingly followed Casper. "Ra what are you doing out here?"

"I went to your room to talk but you were gone. So I went to Thatch's and you both weren't there, so I went looking. That castle is a maze!" He complained. Thatch just shrugged, not surprised at Ra's complaints.

"It's supposed to be. My dad designed it to turn around intruders. We don't like guests. Give it a week and you'll learn your way around." He waved the thought off. "There are a few shortcuts I could show you later, in case you're ever running late to class."

"Yeah yeah whatever," Ra rolled his eyes. "Anyways, I was trying to memorize the place, but I think I got turned around. I tried finding the tower but I just ended up in the library."

"Why did you want the tower?" The vampire hissed defensively, his eyes naturally flickering upwards towards the tall dark tower.

"Uh, because it's a huge landmark on the castle and I bet from the top I can see miles around. Casper said there was a village nearby, so I was figuring I could see it."