Episode 37: For a Lifetime

Our hearts fluttered like butterflies when Can whispered those poetic touching words into Sanem's ear on that beautiful day.

"𝑰 𝒇𝒆𝒍𝒍 𝒊𝒏 𝒍𝒐𝒗𝒆 𝒘𝒊𝒕𝒉 𝒚𝒐𝒖 𝑺𝒂𝒏𝒆𝒎". 𝑯𝒆 𝒔𝒂𝒊𝒅 𝒕𝒐 𝒉𝒆𝒓. "𝑾𝒉𝒆𝒕𝒉𝒆𝒓 𝒎𝒚 𝒆𝒚𝒆𝒔 𝒂𝒓𝒆 𝒐𝒑𝒆𝒏𝒆𝒅 𝒐𝒓 𝒄𝒍𝒐𝒔𝒆𝒅, 𝑰 𝒔𝒆𝒆 𝒐𝒏𝒍𝒚 𝒚𝒐𝒖, 𝒘𝒉𝒆𝒏 𝒚𝒐𝒖 𝒂𝒓𝒆 𝒂𝒓𝒐𝒖𝒏𝒅 𝒐𝒓 𝒏𝒐𝒕. 𝑰 𝒈𝒐 𝒉𝒐𝒎𝒆, 𝒚𝒐𝒖 𝒂𝒓𝒆 𝒕𝒉𝒆𝒓𝒆...𝑰 𝒈𝒐 𝒕𝒐 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒃𝒆𝒂𝒄𝒉, 𝒚𝒐𝒖 𝒂𝒓𝒆 𝒕𝒉𝒆𝒓𝒆...𝑰 𝒈𝒐 𝒕𝒐 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒄𝒂𝒃𝒊𝒏, 𝒚𝒐𝒖 𝒂𝒓𝒆 𝒕𝒉𝒆𝒓𝒆...𝑰 𝒈𝒐 𝒕𝒐 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒇𝒐𝒓𝒆𝒔𝒕, 𝒚𝒐𝒖 𝒂𝒓𝒆 𝒕𝒉𝒆𝒓𝒆... 𝑰 𝒍𝒐𝒐𝒌 𝒕𝒐 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒔𝒌𝒚, 𝒚𝒐𝒖 𝒂𝒓𝒆 𝒕𝒉𝒆𝒓𝒆... 𝑰𝒕'𝒔 𝒐𝒏𝒍𝒚 𝒚𝒐𝒖."

It was just the night before that he revealed to her the truth, that he was her Albatross and now he was professing his love for her. They were standing in front of his childhood home, the home where he remembered being surrounded by a loving family, and a time when he felt happy. And now he brought Sanem there because she now made him truly happy. She was now his "home".

Essentially she was his everything. His confession was thoughtful and sincere... But in those beautiful words he also conveyed how vulnerable she made him feel and how much he "needed" her to be with him, not only in his mind but physically as well...and not just some of the time, but all of the time. In other words, whether they were together or separated the truth was she was always with him. If he had ever felt her slipping away, like when she tried to quit from the company, he would go to her to bring her back. He would tell her that 'the agency needed her' but in fact he needed her at the agency... the agency had become his life and he needed Sanem to be a part of that life, in any way, shape or form.

And now, even after becoming engaged to be married with her, Can's dependency on Sanem and his insecurities surprisingly continue to persist, along with his possessiveness. We see this in his constant uneasiness and jealousy when she's around Yigit which does not subside even with Sanem's reassurances. It is also evident in his constant pressure for her to leave her new job, an opportunity that he still does not value as much as Sanem does. Feeling that he has changed so much for her, Can expects her to sacrifice this opportunity for him. However it is too important to Sanem, so he gives in to her sweet talk, for now.

If it were only these issues they had to deal with. Just when we thought that all obstacles keeping our love birds apart were eliminated, another one, far more difficult to control emerges. And it's a biggy...one that is close to home and keeping them from getting the one thing that is so important to the both of them...their parents' blessing. Without it, they feel they won't be able to enjoy their love to the fullest. The obstacle...is their families.

When Can and Sanem sought approval from Huma they encircled their arms around her signifying that they wanted their families to be a part of their union, but instead Huma showed her refusal by breaking out of their circle. When they approached Maevkeve she didn't react any better and made up excuses to avoid talking about their wedding. She was in denial just as much as Huma. Sadly Can and Sanem were becoming more and more like star-crossed lovers than ever as their families could not put their rivalries aside and get along...a problem that is probably as old as time. When parents disapprove of the union, children are caught in a terrible bind. Listening to and responding to either side makes them feel disregarded and disrespected. They may feel constantly under pressure to prove themselves worthy. And if unresolved, their efforts can soon turn to resentment and anger that spills into the relationship.

Unfortunately, this was happening to our love birds. Can and Sanem's parents could not get along even during the family gatherings. At both the street festival, (which resembled a typical pre-wedding custom) and the bridal visit by the groom's family, they couldn't get past their own values and prejudices to see just how much they were hurting their children. Both events should have been happy occasions but instead turned sour because of their parents hostilities towards one another.

Can and Sanem quickly realized that getting their parents' blessing was not going to be easy, but they would not allow their animosity to come between them and undermine their relationship. They could hardly wait to start their life together, to become husband and wife and 'to go to sleep and wake up next to eachother'. And so after trying to include their parents to no avail, they seriously consider getting married without their parents' blessing. Suddenly all those traditional values that were once so important to them are now not important and thrown out the window.

But running away to elope would not make the problem go away. It may in fact make it even bigger. Although it seemed like a good idea at the time and just having witnessed her sister go through with it, for a traditional girl like Sanem perhaps it wouldn't be such a good idea. Perhaps after going through with it she would eventually become unhappy because, in the end she does care deeply about her parents and needs their approval. And if she's unhappy, eventually Can would also be unhappy. And Can, deep down wants a happy home just like the one he brought Sanem to see that held his wonderful childhood memories when his family lived all together. Maybe eloping would put too much pressure on their love. Hopefully the idea of elopement will force their mothers to deal with their own prejudices and come to their senses. Because I'm sure you will agree that after everything Can and Sanem have been through, our love birds deserve the best happily-ever-after there ever was. And so long as they hold onto their love they won't have to wait too much longer to get it.

Canem Forever ❤️❤️