Episode 51 Final Farewell

Sanem Ayden was a story teller who loved to tell stories about love and romance. Little did she know that the very first story that she would share with Can Divit, her future soulmate, would be one they'd have to live. It was the legend of the Bride Rock at Ağva.

If you'll recall, the story goes that there was a Captain of a Ship who traveled all over the world and fell deeply in love with a girl from Ağva, a coastal village in the Black Sea, who loved him very much in return. They wished to be married, but when the Captain asked her father for her hand he was refused because he was a foreigner. So they decided to escape. The girl dressed in her wedding dress and waited at the coast for her Captain. She waited and waited for days, but he never came. She was so distraught that she said, "let me become either a bird or a rock". In the end she turned into a Rock.

Sadly, Can and Sanem are now living this story. Although Can survived the accident, he couldn't remember her. The part of Can that belonged to Sanem had not returned, and was still missing. Sanem's Cap Can was still "lost at sea" and was not able to return to her because he believed that without her father's blessing, their love could never be fulfilled. But even in face of these dire circumstances, Sanem manages to cope because she still had hope that he would gain his memories and come back to her. She also had an abundance of patience for Can, especially after having to wait for him to return to her just recently. She figured she would just have to be patient again and especially now more than ever. She was prepared to wait because he was the most important person in her life and their love meant everything to her. This is what 'having unconditional love for Can' meant to her. And she would wait for as long as it took...until...

Until the moment she finally realized that he wasn't coming back. That he was slowly slipping back to the Can who had never known her—his Sanem. He only knew her as a mythical character in a book that she wrote and who she was trying so desperately to convince that he loved. She realized that Can had needed to find his old self again because that is all he knew how to be, which would make her doubt that she was the right woman for him after all. And it all occurred to her that night when she walked into Can's meeting with his new mountaineering friends, including their new business associate Ayşe discussing an upcoming climbing expedition. Listening to him interact with them was a wake up call to her...She finally faced the reality that everything they had gone through to be together was all in vain. That this was not 'her Can'. That the Can she loved, her Captain was not coming back for her. And on top of everything, at a time when she was most vulnerable she saw that he was still a man that, through no fault of his own because it was just in his nature, couldn't give himself completely to her to show his commitment and faithfulness to her. And she was still envious of him. He was still the same lovable, charismatic guy who loved the attention and affection from women, this time from Ayşe...and this finally proved to be Sanem's breaking point. She had no more power in her to compete. She had given up on hope. She had given up on their Love.

Before we go any further it's important to mention that, although we didn't like her very much, Ayşe's character represents a very key role in this story. Notice how she has similar attributes and qualities as Can but looks very much like Sanem in appearance? She therefore symbolized Can's "perfect match" (the one he could have been attracted to if Sanem was not in the picture) and is used to test his strength in his commitment towards Sanem. She is therefore a potential threat to their Love. If you'll recall, another character played this type of role but in that case he had similar attributes and qualities as Sanem but looked a lot like Can...yes, that would be Yigit. So just as Yigit was Sanem's ideal match and Can's alter-ego, Ayşe is Can's ideal match and Sanem's alter-ego. Interestingly enough, Ayşe in Turkish means "one who lives with happiness", which normally characterizes Sanem, who is now lacking.
Arguably Ayşe doesn't only represent Can's ideal match but also represents all of the women who pursue him in general. Can is a very affectionate guy who loves receiving attention, especially from women. And perhaps in another place or time Ayşe could have easily tempted this Can, but something in him stopped him from being tempted to accept her advances. Little did he know (although his subconscious knew very well) that it was his heart which was already consumed with Sanem. But only when he felt Sanem slipping away from him did he understand that she had been in his heart all along and that he was taking her for granted because she had always been there for him.