Episode 45 Scene Analysis: The Cleopatra Commercial

It's no coincidence that Sanem chose "Cleopatra" to be the theme used to advertise her cream, the perfect concept to target the woman who desires such notable characteristics as beauty, individuality and strength that the great historical ruler em...

It's no coincidence that Sanem chose "Cleopatra" to be the theme used to advertise her cream, the perfect concept to target the woman who desires such notable characteristics as beauty, individuality and strength that the great historical ruler embodied. But this wasn't the first time the famous female ruler, queen of seduction, would be brought up in our love story. There was another time she was mentioned, a time tensions just started easing between Can and Sanem after Can's return.

If you will recall, when Can burned his arm after running into the burning hut to save the sentimental bandana, Sanem showed him compassion by applying her antibiotic ointment to soothe his wound.  While doing so, she would also tell him the history behind the ointment in a story-like manner to soothe his emotional wounds. In the story, she explained how the ointment contained aloe vera, used by ancient Egyptians who considered it an immortality plant. She went on to explain that it was used for wounds and burns and had many other benefits even for the heart. Even Cleopatra would use similar ingredients and owed her beauty to it. Her brother, Alexander the Great also used it to heal the wounds of soldiers. Telling this story would help ease the awkwardness of the physical closeness they found themselves in. It would also do something else...

Can wasn't sure if it was the way she spoke to him in her calm and tender voice...or the way she was dressed, in that long, black, low-cut, snug-fitting dress...or the way she wore her hair pulled back into a loose French braid with soft tendrils framing her beautiful face...or was it the sweet smelling honey that he could detect from the ointment...or the way she was gently applying it to his skin... or maybe it was the mere mention of the famous seductress herself, Cleopatra that escaped from Sanem's lips...whatever it was, it only further intensified his desire for her. Perhaps Cleopatra's seductive power started taking effect and working its magic to heal their hearts.

Now, it's important to note that Cleopatra, one of the most famous female rulers of all time, believed to be divine and identified herself with the goddess of Aphrodite, and in effect created much of the mythology that surrounds her to this day.  She was highly image-conscious, and maintained her mystique through shows of splendor, sitting beneath a gilded canopy while attendants dressed as cupids fanned her and burned sweet-smelling incense.

Back to the advertising shoot, when Sanem dressed for the filming of her commercial, she strategically chose the costume she would wear. Remember she picked out all the costumes. While everyone was outfitted in Egyptian costumes, including Deren who was dressed as the Egyptian queen, Sanem cleverly dressed herself in a beautiful long pink shear gown adorned with a gold appliqué collar bearing a striking resemblance to a goddess, arguably Venus, (the Roman version of Aphrodite) who was the goddess of Love, Beauty, Desire and Fertility...definitely intended to capture the attention of one particular mortal. And captured his attention, she certainly did...Can was so enamoured and enchanted by her beauty that he could hardly focus on the filming.  On top of matters, longing to be with Sanem further intensified his need for comfort from his bandana which was strangely missing and would further distract him from filming, causing him to wander off in search of it. When Sanem crossed paths with him on her way to her kitchen to make a strawberry smoothie for Deren, Can could not resist following her there to conveniently request a glass of water. Sparks flew as he approached her gradually, and then even more when their hands accidentally touched while simultaneously reaching for the pitcher of water. Can's curiosity of the smoothie prompted him to ask her about the strawberries. Without being asked, Sanem instinctively went to retrieve the bowl of the crimson fruit from the fridge to offer them to him, assuming that it was their sweetness he was craving. Little did she know it was not the strawberries that he was craving at all. Can thankfully accepted one anyway, but first let her take a bite from it from his fingers before popping into his own mouth to eat the rest. It was a sensual moment reminiscent of the time he had fed her those grapes, in which he was able to get close enough to her lips without actually crossing any lines...an experience they both savoured, that hightened their desire for eachother to another level...because sharing that strawberry was like sharing a long awaited kiss.

It's not surprising that it was a strawberry that they shared as the strawberry is often linked to love and romance

It's not surprising that it was a strawberry that they shared as the strawberry is often linked to love and romance.  Back in ancient times, this heart shaped fruit was considered the symbol of Venus because of its pleasant aroma, bright red color, juicy texture, and sweet taste, later becoming a symbol of fertility due to its many exterior seeds. A very sensual moment indeed that would also prompt Can to teasingly remind Sanem of the time she intentionally added strawberries to the smoothie of one of his allergy-prone admirers, out of sheer jealousy...only to fan the flames of desire even more and to prove that she still wanted him just as much as he wanted her.

When they returned to the set they continued filming but Can's focus was now completely off.  He couldn't take his eyes off of Sanem, nor his mind off of the taste of that... ahem, strawberry 🍓...He wanted her...and badly. And so he decided to extend the commercial shoot for as long as possible, so that he could extend his "viewing" pleasure as much as possible. Sneaky guy. Consequently, the whole team would have to endure a number of retakes before they would be done for the day until Can was completely satisfied. 😏 But he didn't care.  He only cared about one thing for sure. And that was that he now knew that Sanem, his Love, the goddess he worshipped, still longed for him, and it was only a matter of time that she would soon be back where she belonged... in his loving arms. ❤️❤️

Canem Forever ❤️❤️