Chapter 74

Look at that!! 🙈
It's an update!

Kevin's P.O.V.
Joe and I help Nick up to his room and tuck him in. When we're about to leave, a hand finds its way into mine and holds on tightly.

"Will you stay with me? Please?" I turn to look into Nick's big, sad eyes and gave in.

"Of course." I sit down next to him, letting him hold my hand.

Joe sits on the side of the bed.

"I'm sorry for this. I guess I wasn't ready after all." He laughs slightly.

I shake my head. "It's not your fault, Nick." I tell him. "Everything will be.." Nick cuts him off by Nick pointing at him accusingly.

"Don't tell me everything will be okay. This has been going on for months, years even, and nothing has been okay and nothing will get better!" He screams at us.

I try to calm him down, but he only calms a little. He keeps glaring towards Joe.

"I don't know what to say to you, Nick. But it hurts me to keep finding you cooped up somewhere on the floor when you're in pain." I confess to him.

"I know. I'm sorry for being such a pain." I can't help myself but laugh when he says that.

He looks confused. "Why are you laughing?" Joe beats him in asking me.

"You're so funny sometimes. You just don't know it." I explain.

Joe bursts out laughing with me and before we know it, Nick starts to grin.

He'a not laughing out loud like us, but I wouldn't have expected him to do that.

And hey! It's a start.

"You getting over your low?" I ask him when the laughing seized.

"Yeah, just a massive headache left." He answered.

"Let's test you again, then we'll see how to go from there. Deal?" Joe proposes to him. Nick nods in response.

We all get up and walk downstairs. Nick sits at the kitchen island and Joe passes him his kit. I get some glasses and get everyone something to drink.

Nick tests and gets one beep. That means he's in range. That's really a relief. It rarely happens these days.

Dad enters the kitchen, followed closely by mom.

"The interviewer is dealt with, so you boys don't have to worry about that." I give him a kurt nod in response.

Mom gives us all a short hug.

"Where's Pippa?" Frankie is still over at his friends' house.

"She's upstairs." Mom answers. Nick nods, but doesn't make a move to leave the room.

"We can walk around it, but what's the plan now." Joe says.

Mom and dad stand at the island, making us form a circle around it. Dad seems like he wants to get something off his chest. Whatever it is, it seems like we're not going to like it.

"I don't want you boys performing anytime soon." And there it is.

"Why not?" Asks Nick immediately.

"You've seen what she's done to you. We don't want to put you through that again." Mom explains.

"I know. I can handle it, though. I don't mind what she said about me. I can defend myself, but I hated it when she talked about Pippa with such hatred." He shakes his head sadly.

"And you responded well. I don't mind that you blew up, she deserved it." We all look up at mom. Did we hear that right? Mom agrees with blowing up on someone? We should call the papers to get this in writing.

"But still. She was only one interviewer!" Nick exclaims.

"That's not the point here, Nick. It was an attack on you, on Pippa and on our family. We don't want that to happen." Mom tries to reason, but Nick is on a roll.

"All the work we've done. On our bond, on our songs, the album. All for nothing?" Nick retaliates.

"Of course no.." but Nick cuts her off.

"But that's not what you're saying. What you're saying is that we shouldn't get out there anymore. How are we supposed to get out there with our music if we're not allowed to do interviews? If we ever want to get the world to get over what happened this morning, we should go out there and show them otherwise."

Nick takes a second to breathe and continues.

"If we don't go out there, we'll only confirm their suspicions. Whether we like it or not, the interview of this morning is out there. We can use another to turn the story or to make people forget about it, or we can do what you like, which is keeping quiet. But you know too that they will keep this interview in mind and wonder where we went. They'll think that this is what you thought we should do and make them think that all of that is true." Nick stops.

"You done now with your tamper tantrum?" Mom asks him. Nick wants to lash out, but I move my arm to keep him from doing so.

"What do you boys think?" I can see that dad is thinking about what Nick said.

"I have to admit that despite his tone," I throw Nick a look and he shrugs in response. "there is some kind of truth in what he says." I say.

"I think so too." Joe agrees.

"Alright. Your mom and I will think about it and take a rain check on this conversation with you boys. No matter what we decide, we'll have to talk to Pippa about it. It's not only her last name, but first name as well." Dad says. Mom nods in response.

"I do hope you are going to use a different tone by that time, young man." Dad says calmly.

"I'm sorry." We all know he apologized to mom. Mom gives him a nod and walks off with dad to talk about it.

Joe bumps him in the shoulder. "Ouch! Why did you do that?" Nick asks him.

"You deserved it, you twat!" Joe responds.

Nick is about to punch him back, but I hold him back.

"Stop it, you babies! Or they'll never let us perform again." I tell them. Nick relaxes under my grip, knowing that mom might actually decide to do that.