26

Chapter 26

"Sometimes I wonder if love is worth fighting for, but then I remember your face and I'm ready for war

"Sometimes I wonder if love is worth fighting for, but then I remember your face and I'm ready for war."

»»————- ☠ ————-««

"Lucas...we just left him." Tessa muttered from the back of the cab, Aurora slouched in the drivers seat as she watched the steering wheel move with slight tilts.

"He's gone." Cade told his daughter as he looked back at her, tears streaming silently down her face as she looked back at her dad.

Optimus pulled over to an abandoned gas station and let the humans out of his cabin before he transformed, the blonde casually walking by as he slammed his fist into the ground in front of the others who flinched at the movement.

"My deepest sympathies for the loss of your friend." Optimus said sincerely as he looked down at Cade and the other two, "Stay here till I'm sure we weren't followed. We are all targets now." Optimus glanced at the blonde who stood slightly behind the family before he transformed and drove off down the road.

"So we're hiding out now? That's the plan? We're taking orders from a truck?" Shane asked as he watched the truck drive away from them.

"You got a better idea, kid?" Aurora asked as she looked at him, a glare on her face. Shane looked away from the blonde glare and wrapped his arm Tessa and brought her closer.

"Hey, move away from her, kid. Don't..." Cade trailed off as he removed his arm off of the teenage girl. "Keep your hands off her. Alright?" Cade asked as he pulled his daughter towards the station.

Aurora followed the three into the building and sat across from Tessa on the bar, watching as the girl unplugged and plugged in the lights. Aurora could feel the tension in the room, it was thick and almost suffocating as she glanced between the two men in the room.

"Well," Tessa started as she looked up "bright side, you guys met."

"Where's he from?" Cade questioned his daughter

"I told you, he's a driver from Texas."

"Texas? Where, Dublin, Texas? Shamrock, Texas? So why does he sound like a leprechaun?" Cade drilled as he leaned forward on the bar.

"You'd get your ass kicked in Ireland for saying that." Shane told Cade as he looked at him.

"Well, we're not in Ireland, Lucky Charms, we're in Texas." Cade replied as he looked over to his daughter. "And he drives? What do you mean, he drives? Like, for a living?"

"Yeah. At least he makes a living." Tessa muttered as she looked at her dad.

Aurora rolled her eyes and watched as the three bickered back and forth, 'Damn relationship drama.' she thought.

"Thank you." Cade hissed at his daughter.

"Look, I race rally cars. One driver, one navigator. Her. By the way, I'm totally legit. I just got picked up by Red Bull. And just so you know, my life savings was in that car back there." Shane told Cade, pointing at the built man who stared him dead in the eyes.

"This is not happening."

"Oh, it definitely is."

"How old are you?"

"Twenty."

Cade's mouth dropped open, "She's a seventeen year old girl, so we can work this out two ways. One, I punch you right in the mouth and you call the police on me."

"Dad..."

"Or two, I just call the cops on you because this is illegal, she's a minor." Cade stated as he pointed at his daughter.

"We're protected by the Romeo and Juliet laws." Shane told the father

"We dated for a little while, I was a sophomore and he was a senior. It's fine." Tessa tried reassuring her dad as she spoke.

"No, it's not fine."

"We've got a preexisting juvenile foundational relationship. Statute two-seven-zero-five dash three." Shane states as he holds up a piece of paper, showing Cade.

"What? Texas statute? Is that a real law?" Cade asked the blonde who sat quietly on the sidelines.

Aurora looked up and shrugged her shoulders, "I wasn't a police officer here. I was Captain of a secret government team, so don't look at me for help." She held her hands in the air, shaking her head.

"Romeo and Juliet, huh? You know how those two end up?" Cade asked the couple.

"In love." Tessa muttered

"Dead. Do your parents know about this? Is your dad okay with you dating a seventeen year-old girl?" Cade pried further as the blonde rolled her eyes and walked out of the building, taking a breath in as she looked at the sunset.

"You know, I never thought I'd be stuck in something like this again." She stated as the black haired man stepped out of the truck. "God," She laughed, "I did not miss running from people trying to kill me."

Optimus let out a slight chuckle as he leaned back against the wall of the building next to her before his expression turned to a serious one, "Have you heard from the others?" Optimus watched as the girls face dropped and she visibly gulped.

"I saw Arcee and Sam before they were..." She trailed off, remembering the Autobot pleading for her life and the blood that stained her face, "they were killed, by Cemetery Wind. Right in front of me." Aurora held back a sob as she looked over into the bright eyes of the man next to her.

"I couldn't do anything... it just happened so fast. He was standing in front of me and then next he was laying in a pool of blood in front of me." Aurora told the Prime, who cringed at the mental image of his old friend Sam. "I wish I could've done something..."

"There was nothing you could've done without putting your own life at risk." Optimus told the girl as he held her hand in his, "Sam knew his fate when he tried to save Arcee. There was nothing that could have been done."

Aurora nodded and used her free hand to wipe the tears from her face, "I'm just tired of losing people." She muttered as she looked at the ground, "Sam, Ironhide and maybe Bee, Ratchet and Mirage... I don't even know if Will and Sarah are still alive."

"All we can do is hope that they are still alive, my dear."