Chapter 8 - The Alarm

POV: Xelqua

Location: Watcher Academy

I let out a sigh as I collapsed on my bed. My head ached as I placed my arm over my face, covering my eyes.

Verix glanced over at me with worry in his eyes as he headed over to his own bed.

"You okay man?" he asked, his Galactic words much more fluid than it had been when we had gotten there.

I let out an extended sigh, showing him that I wasn't.

"Woah, that bad, huh?" he asked, heading over to his closet and pulling out a new trainee cloak to put on. His current one was covered in magic residue as his last class had involved a lot of experimenting with magic.

"You have no idea," I replied, still not moving.

It had been a full year since my first experiences with golden magic and my power had only grown. At this point, I could barely manage to control my magic in duels and I often ended up sending my partners to the infirmary with how much magic I was sending. Most days, my magic was silver, the color of the second-most powerful magic in Watcher society. However, there were days where my gold magic had come out. And the space between those days was shortening by the week.

This year, we had a different class during the last period so I often came back to the dorm frustrated and annoyed. Verix always tried to help me through it but it kept happening more and more.

"What happened this time?" he asked, casually changing out his cloak in front of me, his normal clothes still underneath despite regulations.

I sighed again and lowered my arms to place on my chest.

"I sent a student to the infirmary with 3rd-degree magic burns," I said bluntly.

"Oooh, that's rough," he said while wincing. "By accident, I assume?" he asked, heading over to our newly installed laundry chute. The opening of it was enchanted so that cloaks could go through it but you couldn't get out through it.

I let out a laugh. "Of course, you know me," I said, looking over at him from where I laid.

I fixed my eyes on his white and black hair. It still seemed odd but the white was still coming out. Realistically, the black would've no longer been there by now but it seems Watcher magic causes our hair-growth rates to slow because there weren't many ways to get haircuts at the Academy. (or you know, I just need a reason why his black hair from the start of the 6 years is still there 3 years later along with white)

I watched as he threw his soiled cloak into the laundry chute before fixing the fastener on his new one.

"Will he live?" he asked, heading back over to his bed with his gaze still set on me.

"Probably," I replied, not sure where he was going with this.

"Will you get kicked out of the Academy for doing this?" he asked, raising an eyebrow at me as if he was trying to make a point.

I let out an exasperated sigh. "No, I won't," I replied. "There's no point in half-training someone just to release them into the world with crazy magic that I can't control!" I said, my voice slowly getting more and more exasperated as I finished the sentence. I placed my hands over my eyes, letting out another sigh.

He chuckled, a smirk growing on his face. "Then don't beat yourself up about it," he said. "Since I am older than you, I now command you to not worry about this, again, unless you get in trouble with the Instructors," he ordered, a sense of authority falling over him.

I laughed, breaking the illusion of authority and lowered my hands. "Kay, got it," I said with a grin.

He smirked back and began his schoolwork.

He always knew how to cheer me up.

A thought entered my mind. It's as if he knows how it feels from experience... I glanced over at him. He didn't seem old enough to have dealt with this before, but who knows. I let out another sigh and sat up. Oh well, he doesn't even remember so there's no point in asking, I decided before standing up and heading to my desk.

Then, the alarm sounded.

Verix and I immediately stood up with a glance at each other.

Running swiftly to the door, we exited the room to see what was going on.

An Instructor, Instructor Zerothke, to be exact, stood at the entrance to our hallway of dorms.

"Everyone, get your weapons and magic ready!" he yelled urgently. "The admins are attacking!"

My heart seemed to stop as the admins were mentioned. A slight smile grew over my lips as forgotten memories flowed through my brain.

However, they were forgotten once more as Verix pulled me inside our dorm.

I shook my head, forgetting why I was smiling.

I dashed over to my ender chest, grabbing my armor and weapons.

I put on the dueling Watcher clothes and put on the diamond-infused armor on top of it.

Verix and I worked quickly to prepare. The Initiates were only called upon if there was a dire need for it. It seems an attack from the admins was dire enough for the Instructors.

I grabbed my sword, a glistening diamond one, and turned to look at Verix.

My eyes grew wide as I saw him.

Diamond-infused red armor covered his body, an odd choice for a Watcher. He held a diamond sword at his side as well as a bow in his other hand. However, the most striking part was that a red gas-mask like helmet was on over his white and black hair, his black eyes hidden underneath the black visor.

I realized how pitiful I looked compared to him and grabbed a few more items that would help me, including a bow and some healing potions.

"Ready?" he asked in Galactic.

I nodded. "Ready as I'll ever be," I replied before turning to the door.

We ran out and headed through the halls to the courtyard, where more Instructors were waiting.

"This battle will take place in the skies! I hope you've prepared your Initiate Watcher wings," Darylev announced, his gaze flying over the odd mismatch of Initiate armor that filled the courtyard. I noticed that Verix's armor seemed to stand out the most but then again, I was wearing shiny diamond-infused armor so I wasn't exactly hard to miss.

I focused on Darylev again as he announced, "Spread your wings! Defend your school!"

Face grim, I glanced at Verix and he nodded at me. I returned the nod and allowed my pale purple wings to come out. He did the same and together, we soared into the void-like skies, ready to defend against t the admins.

(about 1077 words)

(Cutting this one short so that I don't go overboard)

(Idea will be finished in the next one :3)

(And yes, I am publishing this at 2:24 in the morning for me :3)