Chapter 34 - When Things Go Wrong

(possible T/W for mention of pain(idk how trigger warnings works))

POV: Grian

Location: ???

I let out a quiet groan as I became aware of something hard beneath me. I cracked open my eyes to find myself lying on purplish stone bricks in some sort of room. There was an iron door in front of me but it didn't look like anyone was on the other side.

I felt something around my wrists and felt my heart drop. Magic dampening obsidian cuffs were wrapped around my wrists, blocking my usage of magic. This wasn't going to go well.

I rolled onto my back to look around and discovered both Mumbo and Xisuma lying near me. Xisuma was wearing his green armor but bandages were visible on one of his arms and he had similar cuffs to mine. Both of them seemed to be regaining consciousness.

I let out another quiet groan as my head began to hurt. I furrowed my eyebrows and concentrated as I tried to recall what had happened.

~Flashback~

I was standing up from my bed and looking around, trying to decide what to do. I headed over to my Nether portal after deciding to just head to the Shopping District or something. Mid transport, something silver sucked me out of the purple swirls and I lost consciousness.

~End of flashback~

I groaned and pushed myself to a sitting position. My wounds from the battle were acting up and it didn't help to be on the cold stone floor.

I glanced over at Mumbo and Xisuma, whose eyes were wide as they tried to sit up. Xisuma had more difficulty than Mumbo did because of his own injuries but managed nonetheless.

"Where-" Xisuma began, looking around.

I met his gaze and sighed. "A Watcher prison," I responded quietly.

His eyes grew more round and he began to look around for a way to get out.

All three of us stiffened as the sound of keys reached our ears. We turned to the iron door just in time to see it swinging open with a clang.

Dread filled my gut as Watchers stepped through. Familiar Watchers. High Councilman Galenthyl stepped through first with Instructor Zerothke right behind him. My heart almost stopped when I saw who followed. Out stepped a decently tall man with a dark purple cloak on and white and black hair peeking out from under the hood. A pale purple mask covered his grayish eyes that I knew he had.

EX- or rather, Verix- stepped off to the side and stood with his hands at his sides. None of the anger that he had shown during the battle of the day before was there anymore; he was just an emotionless shell. He even looked the part as his head tilted off to the side ever so slightly, giving the illusion that he wasn't really mentally present.

"Evander..." Xisuma said quietly, his voice filled with guilt and grief for his brother. A Watcher guard that had just stepped inside walked over and kicked Xisuma in his injured arm, demanding, "Silence." The Admin let out a quiet hiss of pain and gripped it before falling silent. Mumbo looked up at the Watcher, feeling confused at what he said. He was the only one in the room that couldn't speak Galactic.

I steadily looked up and met High Councilman Galenthyl's gaze. "Why have you brought us here?" I asked calmly.

His expression remained blank as he responded, "We needed answers."

I glanced back at a very confused Mumbo Jumbo and asked, "Could you put a temporary spell on Mumbo so he can understand Galactic?"

"Fine," Galenthyl responded before raising his hand and waving it. A small flash of silver light around Mumbo's head later, the spell was complete.