Chapter 5

I'm always searching for something,for someone.

•|•|•|•|•

Sandra, Aramide and Moyo arrive at the building where the contest auditions are being held.

Sandra, Aramide and Moyo take a ticket and pick the form. Aramide and Sandra fill the form and submit it.

"Mom, I'm hungry" Moyo pouted.

Sandra sighed and turned to Aramide. "Are you hungry too Ara?" She asked.

Aramide nodded. "Yes, I can't dance on an empty stomach. Can we buy meat pie? please".

"Let's see" Sandra said. She leaves to buy something. Later, Aramide and Moyo eat the snacks Sandra bought and it is Aramide's turn.

Aramide gulped and straightened her dress. She walks to the stage and faces the judges. She notices Shalom smiling and giving her a thumbs up.

"Introduce yourself," the female judge said.

"Good afternoon,my name is Aramide Alordiah and I will be dancing".

"Okay".

Wind it up by Gwen Stefani plays and Aramide dances. The judges seem impressed by her dancing and Sandra smiles. Moyo claps softly to support her.

Aramide ends the dance and the judges converse. Sandra folds her hands and pray. They look at Aramide and smile.

"Congratulations,you are in the competition" the other male judge said.

"Yes! Thank you!" Aramide squealed excitedly. She runs to Sandra and hugs her. She hugs Moyo and Shalom.

•|•|•

At a small bungalow, King is talking to his mother in her room.

"...now you are in the competition,you must do anything to win."

"Even cheating?"

"It's not cheating, it's.... looking out for your interest," his mother says, "do everything in your power to win because you are a winner, a king and a king always gets what he wants."

"Okay mom" King nodded hesitantly.

"Carry yourself high,you are not a nobody. You are special, you are the son of Samuel Uwem and don't forget that" his mother tells him and he nods.

Samuel entered the room and King's mother stopped talking. Sam looks at them suspiciously.

"King, go play outside. I want to talk to your mom" Sam said. King nods and leaves the room. Sam shuts the door and turns to his wife.

"What were you telling him Chioma?" Samuel asked harshly.

"To make us proud, can't I talk to my son again?" Chioma says not facing him. She begins to scratch her hair frantically and Samuel notices.

"Did you take your medicine?" Samuel asked, his tone softening. He goes to the drawer beside their bed and brings out a medicine cup.

"I don't need the medicine Sam,I am fine, very fine" Chioma said but she is scratching her body. Samuel ignored her protests and gave her the medicine.

"Go to sleep, don't resist the medicine" Samuel said softly and tucked Chioma in to sleep.

Outside, King is solving some maths equations but his mind drifts off to Aramide.

"Why was she chasing me? She looked really desperate to talk to me," King wondered out loud. "I don't even know her...yet she seemed so familiar".

A few days later, Chioma is fighting with Sam. "Tell me?! Who is the tramp that wants to trap my husband?!" Chioma yelled, "tell me?!".