Chapter 22

We were like parallel lines, always close but never together.

•|•|•|•|•

King and Aramide dance. “You don't look bad” King said, his eyes criticizing her from head to toe.

Aramide narrowed her eyes at him suspiciously and King smiled amused at her suspicious look. Is he complimenting me? What is he up to? Aramide thought. She looked at King’s dull red suit and thought it suited him but said nothing.

King’s grip on Aramide was strong so she was forced to dance with him. “You still looks half as bad though.” King said finally and Aramide looked unamused and not surprised.

There it is. Aramide thought and stepped on king’s foot. King winced and let go of her momentarily. Aramide turned to leave but King grabbed her arm and turned her to him.

Aramide and King glared at each other and a song they both knew began playing. They looked at the DJ then at each other. King let go of her with a confident smirk and he and Aramide exchanged a competitive stare.

Aramide started the dance by walking round King, tracing his chest and shoulder. This got everyone’s attention and Aramide stopped by his left side. She danced with her hands on her hips and turned to King to continue.

King danced, doing a fancy footwork along with a spin. Aramide twirled then did a pointed hand dance at King. She did a trust fall and King caught her by her arms. He pushed her up and grabbed her hand, twirling her so she falls into his arms with his hands on her waist.

Aramide turned away from his arms and King danced energetically with Aramide by his side.

Everyone around them started cheering and they smiled. “Wow! Woohoo!” Everyone cheered excitedly.

“Wow, they are so good” Shalom marveled stunned.

King and Aramide finally ended the dance by Ara twirling to him and he catching and leaning her back. Everyone clapped and cheered enthusiastically and King and Aramide stayed in their position panting heavily but happily.

Later, Aramide was drinking water with her teammates. “That was so cool Aramide, how did you and King know where each other would end up being? Both of you danced very well together for people who don’t know each other” Mustapha said observantly.

Aramide froze and picked up her phone to type but King, who appeared behind her spoke. “You didn’t tell them we know each other Ara. Aww, I’m hurt. I thought what we had was special?” King said feigning hurt.

Aramide looked at him alarmed while her teammates stared at her in shock. King smirked at her then left. “You two dated?!” Lisa shrieked.

Aramide shook her head hurriedly and quickly explained that she and King just know each other as their families were close and they attended the same university. She left out the detail that they hated each other saying King just likes teasing but they are not that close.

Lolade sighed in relief, “phew, that was really worrisome.”

“Why?” Funmi asked, “what’s the problem if Aramide knows King?”

“no, the problem is if she’s dated him. I’m interested, I mean, just look at him” Lolade sighed dreamily, “he is handsome, smart, talented–”