Chapter 30

Luke's P.O.V. 

After our date, Sierra's dad gave me the lecture every father has to. He told me he didn't approve of me, but he wasn't going to get in the way of his daughter's heart. He also told me the story of how he met Sierra's mother.

"Listen, Luke," her dad said,"I don't have to like you, but Claire's parents didn't like me. I'm never going to get in the way of Sierra dating."

"Sierra's grandparents didn't like you?" From what I heard, her grandparents were awesome. Sierra's dad was a pretty cool guy, too. He was hard to dislike.

Mr. Neal chuckled. "Yeah, I was rebellious believe it or not. Claire saw through that. She saw what I could be, not what I was. Her parents didn't see that. They saw the punk taking their daughters to clubs.

"Claire and her parents used to fight over me. I didn't realize how much it was tearing her up until one day she came over to my apartment. She looked horrible. She had fought so hard to be with me. She said beneath the rebel loser that I was there was a 'legit guy with a heart of french fries or something golden like that'. That's exactly what Claire said. She was funny that way. 

"Anyway that day I decided that I would become worthy of Claire. I got a haircut, sold my motorcycle, and threw out all my leather jackets. I became the good guy that Claire deserved. 

"I went to Claire's parents house and asked for permission to date their daughter after all that was said was done. To this day I believe it was the McDonald's hamburgers that convinced them that I was worth it."

I could see in his eyes that he still very much loved Sierra's mom. I knew he also loved Anne but just not as much. It's not ever easy to forget your first love.

"Claire must've been something special," I said. 

Sierra's dad nodded. "She was...is like Sierra. She's a little more vocal, but that isn't Sierra's fault. She's been through a lot after Claire died. Sierra hasn't been the same since. She hasn't been happy like she was. Except for one day. One day I saw she was perfectly happy."

"When was that?"

"When you watched all those movies with her," he said. "She appreciated it way more than you'll ever realize, Luke. It's sometimes all a girl will ever need. For you to just sit a watch a few bad chick flicks."

"It was my pleasure, sir."

Mr. Neal stood up. He started walking out until he stopped and turned to me. "Oh, Luke, before I go I've meaning to tell you that you owe me a new pair of sheets."

I reddened remembering my first night with Sierra. It was embarrassing to know that he had either known all along or figured it out.

"I'm not driving," Sierra said firmly. 

"Yes, you are," I replied. I threw my keys at her. She caught them and glared at me. "I'm teaching you to drive. I taught Ashton to drive. I can teach anyone to drive."

"Not me," Sierra argued. "Seven people tried, seven people failed. It's not happening."

I got into the passenger seat and waited there. She'd get in eventually. It was too cold outside for her not to. 

After thirty seconds, as predicted Sierra climbed in. She nervously put the key in the ignition of my Camaro. 

Sierra sat in the seat clutching the wheel tightly or a minute. She was probably debating whether or not to run right now.

"You're going to do fine," I assured. I was wrong. 

Sierra put her foot on the gas while it was still in park. That didn't go over well. When Sierra finally managed to figure it out, she hit the gas way too hard.