Chapter 47

There was no way 'Drug' was about me. Impossible. It was true though. I knew it before Elaine even confirmed it. 

Years ago, after my mom died I had sent a letter to The Shakespears. I assumed they never read it. I never got a reply. I had told them everything about my mom. I told them she was an avid follower even though they weren't popular yet. I told them about how she died. 

"There you have it, guys," Elaine said at the end. "I've finally told you the truth. 'Drug' is about this girl's mother. She sent us a letter telling about everything. The letter was heart-breaking. George cried."

"Did not!" George argued. 

"Sure you didn't, bud," Elaine said sarcastically. "I doubt this girl will want to come up here to stage with us, but I thought she deserved to know. Now back to the music, a**holes."

They continued to play music like they hadn't just flipped my world over. I felt a hand on my arm but was too stunned to see who it was.

"Sierra, are you okay?" Luke asked. I shook my head. "W-was Elaine talking about... you?" I nodded. "Wow. I didn't see that one coming."

"Neither did I," I said. 

The rest of the concert passed in a blur. I tried to get back into it, but I couldn't. I was still stunned from what Elaine had said. 'Drug' was about me struggling with my mother's death. It was amazingly scary.

After the concert ended, I didn't go immediately. I was still too stunned. Luke stayed with me. I think he was just as surprised as me. It's not everyday you find out a world famous song was written after your girlfriend.

"Ms. Neal," a deep, gruff voice said. I looked up at a security guard. "Would you please come with me?"

"Can he come," I asked, pointing at Luke. The man nodded. I slowly got up, and we followed him backstage. 

The man took us to the green room. A bunch of screaming girls were crowded in front of it. We slipped past them.

When we entered the room, Elaine stood up with a big smile on her face and said,"Kid, it's good to see you."

I didn't know how to reply. I couldn't reply. I was still stunned from everything.

Finally I managed to blurt out,"How did you recognize me?"

Alex answered. "Elaine does her research. She wanted to know you weren't f*cking with her. She saw you in the newspaper and immediately wrote the song."

"You wrote the song?" I asked Elaine. "I thought you wrote most of the punkier songs."

"Elaine writes practically all of our songs," George said. "She's good at it."

Elaine shrugged. "You guys wrote that one song."

Alfonso rolled his eyes. "Yeah, we did. We wrote 'Panties on the Floor'." That song was widely considered The Shakespears' worst song.

"Kid," Elaine said,"who's that guy with you."

Luke stepped up beside me. "I'm Luke. Luke Hemmings. I'm Sierra's boyfriend."

Elaine looked Luke up and down. "You're doing that. Nice. I gotta' say I'm a bit jealous."

"Hey," George said as he twirled a drumstick on his fingers.

Elaine rolled her eyes. "Shut up, George."

"Yeah, shut up, George," Alfonso mocked. 

"Make me," George said. Alfonso tackled him, and they wrestled on the ground.