Chapter 49

Sierra's P.O.V.

I looked at the stupid Las Vegas flyer. It was wrong. I told Luke I had loved him, and he called me pathetic.

"Kid," I heard Elaine call. I was sitting outside of the hotel crying my eyes out. She found me and sat down next to me.

"Kid, are you okay?"

"Do I look okay?" I asked her.

"I'm sorry," Elaine said. "This is all my fault. I can't believe they did that. They gave him drugs. That's so disgusting."

I wiped my eyes. "It's not your fault. It's his. He's the one that took the drugs. I just don't understand why he did it. Why he acted like that."

Elaine took out a lighter and flicked it on and off. "He did it because he wanted to look cool. He's with most of The Shakespears. They're famous. He looks up to them. He wants to seem cool."

"Elaine, I can't go back now," I said. "I can't go back and face him knowing that he doesn't love me back. Knowing what he actually thinks of me. I was just a piece of meat to him. An annoying one at that."

"You don't have to go back," Elaine said.

"Yeah, I do," I sighed. "I have to."

"Why?" Elaine asked. "Why do you have to go back? I didn't."

"What are you talking about?" I asked.

"I followed my teenage dream and ran away," Elaine said. "It was hard, but I persevered. Now here I am. Talking with you."

"You're a horrible role model."

Elaine laughed. "That I am, but Sierra, sometimes the only thing you can do is run. You can't fight it out. It gets too hard sometimes. Your life is a paper waiting for some music. Sometimes you'll end up with a crappy song, and you'll have to throw it all away and start anew. Throw the bad music away. You won't regret it."

"You're horrible role model," I repeated. "The worst part I think is that you're right. I can't deal with this. I'd run, but where would I go?"

"I'll be there for you," Elaine promised. "You're not going to be alone in this. I promise. I'm going to help you get through this. I'll be there with you every step of the way. I owe you and Claire that much."

"Elaine, I want to run away from my problems but I can't," I tried to convince.

"Why not?" Elaine asked. "I did it and look at me now. I'm making millions a year."

"Elaine, I'm not you," I said. "I'm not musically talented. If I run, I have to hide. Plus my family. If I run what about them?"

"Think about yourself for once, kid," Elaine said. "You're running because you need to. One day when you're ready, you can go back. I'm looking at you right now. You're not ready to go back. If you go back you'll regret it. I promise you that."

"What if I go?" I asked. "What if I regret that?"

"You won't."

I thought about it for a moment. I was just so tired. I was tired of everything. I couldn't go back and face Luke. I couldn't return and be the center of everyone's gossip. Elaine was right. I hated to admit it, but she was. I had no choice. I had to run away.

"I'll go," I said. Elaine gave me a motherly smile. "I'll go. I don't know where but I'll run. Elaine, if anyone asks i you saw me after today, please say no. I don't want you to get in trouble."

"Kid, no one will know where you are. It'll be our little secret."

"Our little secret," I repeated.