s e v e n t e e n

━━━━ ☔︎ ━━━━
Internal Noise
━━ ☔︎ ━━

"Where did I put it?" I mumbled to myself as I looked for my new fancy coat in my closet.

It was finally the weekend and I was going to see my old friends over at Mark's place. I hadn't been to a get together in a long time, let alone a party. The last time I attempted doing anything social I woke up naked next to my younger neighbor... so, I hoped for the night to go differently.

After a good couple minutes of rustling and making a mess, I found the coat, wore it, and hurried down to the cab I had previously called.

In no-time, I arrived at Mark's place. The house was huge and there were many cars parked outside and I wondered how the boy managed to afford living in a place like this.

I rang the doorbell.

"Nari! Hey! Welcome to my humble abode," Mark greeted me at the door. I laughed at his introduction.

"Humble abode? This place is huge! What did you do? Win the lottery?"

"Yeah, actually," he smiled.

"What?! You're bluffing!"

"No, I really did," he said calmly, "around six months ago."

My jaw dropped. I couldn't believe Mark had been so lucky!

Where is my luck, universe? Why don't you send me some money? Or a better job?!

After a quick tour, we ended in the living room, where all our old friends were sitting.

"Nari! Hi!" Jungwoo stood up to hug me. Followed by Eunha, Doyoung, Jaehyun, Yerin and... Kami?

"Kami! Wow, you're here! I heard you got married," we sat down on the sofa and started to converse.

"Yeah, well," she shot Mark a glare, "someone was spreading that rumor. But no, I didn't get married. Well, I almost did, but it fell apart at the end..."

"I'm so sorry..." I tried to console her. She shook her head and smiled, "it's okay. I'm fine."

"Nari, help me with the wine," Jungwoo called me from the kitchen. I nodded and left the room.

"It was for Mark," Jungwoo said as soon as I entered the kitchen. "What was?" I asked.

"Shh! Keep your voice down."

I nodded, not really understanding what the big deal was. "What's going on?" I whispered.

"She called off the wedding for Mark!"

I gasped, bringing my hand to my mouth to cover my shocked expression, "so, are they back together now?"

He shook his head, "when he found out about the wedding he showed up to her place looking all crazy, saying he loved her and whatnot, but she turned him down." I gasped louder this time and he continued, "then he went off the grid for a while. No one knew where he was, and then he showed up after winning the lotto... It was so weird!" I nodded agreeing with the crazy story he was telling me. "Last month I talked to Kami. I told her about everything and she told me she had called off the wedding because of him, and that fool had no idea cause he disappeared! Anyway, now they're sitting on that couch acting like nothing ever happened. It's sad!"

It was sad. Also, very stupid. She called a wedding off for him! What more did he want?

We went back out to the living room. The air felt different. Everything felt different. Who would've thought a high school romance would've turned out this way? It really makes me hope for someone to care about me this much.