Chapter Six

We watched chick flicks all night, and I only got a few hours of sleep, which wasn’t all that bad. I showered and changed into jeans and a tee shirt with military boots. I left my hair down, and grabbed my ball cap and sunglasses and joined Scarlett downstairs.

“You ready to head out?”

“Yeah. Are you sure you don’t want me to drive you?”

“I’ll be fine Scarlett. I’m going to clear my head before I go up there.”

“Alright, but I want to know how things go. When can he come home?”

“Either today or tomorrow. It all depends on how he is today. I just have to wait and see what his doctor says.”

“Okay, well I am supposed to meet Chris at him place later. Just call me when you are headed back here, or to Jeremy’s house.”

“If he does get to come home today, I’ll be going straight to his house. I already have things there, and I packed some things in my jeep early this morning.”

“You don’t sleep much do you?”

“Nope. In the army, you learn to sleep when and where you can and how to run on little to no sleep for days. It’s a gift and a curse and it really all depends on how you look at it.”

“I guess you do have a point. Well I’ll be heading out soon.”

“Take your time. If you stick around my chef Angelo makes a wonderful brunch, and he’ll make something for you to take home.”
“Now that is an offer I’ll take you up on.”

“Great. I told Angelo to expect you. I have to go now.”

“Okay, and tell Jeremy hello for me.”

“Will do.”

I walked out to my jeep, jumping in and headed for the hospital. I was allowed to go up immediately because the doctor wanted to talk to me.
“Rowan Cullen?”

A man in his thirties asked me as I walked up to the nurse’s station.

“Yes that’s me.”

“I’m Doctor Reese, Mr. Renner’s doctor.”

“Right. You wanted to talk to me.”

“Yes. He should be able to go home with you today. I just want to make sure you know what to do.”

“Sir, I was in the army, and have seen and dealt with a lot of injuries. Just tell me what to do, and I’ll do it.”

“His memory is coming back in pieces, but it will take some time. He does remember more about you though. He was talking about you this morning. And his collarbone should take about four to six weeks to heal properly.”

“Alright, and what do I need to have him do?”

“Keep his right arm in his sling, and he’s not to do any lifting and things need to be as stress free as possible.”

“I’ll do my best. I’ll be staying with him, until he remembers everything. I’m too worried to leave him on his own.”

“That’s a wise choice. I want him to take his pain medication without fail, and do anything you can to jog his memory. Go to places you went on date, and that have a special meaning to the both of you. It will help, and he should get his memory back the longest being three months, and the shortest being this week or next.”

“I’ll try and do everything I can. May I go see him now?”

“Of course. All you have to do is sign a few papers, before you leave.”

“Thank you. We will.”

I left the desk and walked down the hall, towards Jeremy’s room. I walked in as a nurse left. Jeremy was sitting on the bed in sweats, and a tank top, his right arm in a sling.

“Rowan, you came.”

“Of course I did. So I heard you were talking about me.”

“I remember more now. I remember the long nights, and the movie premiere and I remember that I fell in love with you.”

I smiled, and sat next to him.

“I’m glad. I came to fetch you home, if you feel up to it.”

“I’m ready. I want to go home, and this place just makes me uncomfortable.”

I nodded and helped him to his feet. We signed the papers, and headed out of the hospital. There were photographers waiting for us outside, and it took a lot to get him to the car. He seemed exhausted when I finally got him in the passenger’s side of my jeep. I ran to my side, jumped in, and started the car.

“Babe, are you alright?”

“Tired… that’s all.”

We pulled out onto the highway, and headed towards his house.

“I’ll help you to bed when we get home.”

“Thanks Rowan.”

“Are you sure you are alright?”

“Yeah I’m sure. I’m fine Rowan, just don’t worry about me.”

“But as your girlfriend it’s my job to worry about you. I want to know if anything is wrong, and promise me you will tell me if you feel bad.”

“I promise I will Rowan.”

We arrived at his house, and pulled in. I helped him get out of the car, and we walked to the house together. Jeremy seemed to be hurting a lot, which I understood. In Iraq, I had been thrown threw a windshield and it was not a pleasing feeling to hit the hood and then the hard ground. I walked with him inside, and I let him sit down on the sofa.

“Do you want something to drink, babe?”

“Yeah, sure.”

I walked into the kitchen grabbing two cans of soda, and returning to kneel in front of him. I handed him the open can and sat back on my heels. I watched Jeremy closely, and he ended up drifting off, with the soda still in his hand. I chuckled softly, taking the can and setting it on the coffee table. I carefully stretched him out on the sofa, and took off his sneakers before walking out of the room.