Chapter 2: Cat and Mouse

Taehyung's P.O.V

"Kim Taehyung..."

Somebody uttered my name with such a paralyzing tone, my body shivered. Gazing up, the terrifying glare that had met my eyes was sending me chills— I'd never thought one could look at another human being with that much hatred.

It was Jeon Jungkook: The same doll-like black orbs, raven-colored hair, soft facial features, and even the same small mole underneath his bottom lip. Yet not everything about him had remained unchanged. He had grown taller, his figure stronger, and for a moment, the spark of naivety once displayed in the young boy's eyes was gone, leaving them icy cold.

I faced down under that murderous glare without uttering a word. "Let's go," Robert said and grabbed his friend's arm, dragging Jungkook away to the other corner of the classroom, finding a different comfortable place at the front row.

My ex-pals were making noise while waiting for our teacher, having a somewhat intriguing discussion, which did not include me. I rested my chin on the desk and let out a long, loud sigh.

Mother wanted me to restore those past relationships, and very recently, had gotten a job for my sake, despite how impossible it seemed. But I wasn't confident I wished to. I was never happy around those people, and as a popular kid, never tried to find just a few loyal comrades with whom I could be. Now I lacked the ability, too little too late.

"Becca is such a bitch..."

"So who'd won that match...?"

"How did it go? Did she give you her phone number...?"

As I continued listening in on the chattering, one conversation had caught my attention more than the rest.

"Why are we sitting here? We swore to stay near the exit, remember?"

"I don't want you to be close to Kim," Robert told Jungkook.

"What does he have to do with anything?!"

He was aware I wouldn't bug them, and it was clear his buddy was more than capable of keeping the pair safe. I tried to hear more.

"I'm not an idiot. You look like you want to kill the guy, and we were only talking about how big of a pacifist you were..." said Robert.

"I have no idea what you're on about."

"Well, I do," he continued. "You crave revenge, and you better not be planning ways to get it. We're over this."

Robert always had a funny reputation among his peers; he was blunt, lacked tact, and his words were never a miss. I took a deep breath, shook my head, and rested my chin on the table again. The air around me became exhausting, and the teacher's arrival was my last hope for some quiet.

The first lesson of the year had started, and with the corner of my eye, I could see Jungkook staring at me. I didn't dare to fixate my sight and tried to focus on anything else.

His powerful gaze was still clutching onto me, and I lowered my head. He didn't let go, and I held my breath.

An hour and a half had passed, and he didn't let me rest.

Jungkook's P.O.V

"Ugh! Why is he even sitting there?! Wouldn't he prefer sitting in the back to be on his phone or something and not take our place?" I told Robert once class was dismissed. He shrugged.

Taehyung suddenly got up and walked towards us, speaking to the floor, mumbling, "we can trace seats, you know. It's not a bother..."

Pressing tongue against my inner cheek, I examined him from head to toe. He stayed in his place, silent, tapping his foot, a condescending asshole.

Robert glanced at me, rather pleased. "Alright—"

"No, thank you," I cut my friend off. "Save that pitiful seat to yourself."

I pulled Robert outside the classroom with clenched teeth: That interaction pissed me off. His fucking face pissed me off.

"Do you even know where you're going?" he asked, stopping us in the middle of the corridor. I inhaled, muttering a little "not really" when exhaling again. He chuckled. "I'll show you around. We have somewhere to hang out here too."

I followed him outside the class building, past its outer walls, and soon behind it.

"Another school backyard, Robs?"

"Just like the good old days... There are no giant thick trees this time, though this one will do. It does look dead on the inside, guess you'd have something in common with it, you emo."

"At least I'm aware of my teenage angst, and—" I pinched his arm "—I'm not chasing after some popular girl. You understand you have no choice but to tell me all about her now, right?"

Robert turned red. "I'd told you more than I should have this morning..."

"Is she from our class? Tell me! Tell me!"

For the first time in forever, I could see Robert in real life, covering his tomato cheeks as he spoke of a crush. "She's gorgeous..." he began, and I was trying to hear him out, however... I couldn't.

A guy with headphones plugged to a device covered in cracks and scratches sat down near us. The mere sight of him, at our place, was both distracting and infuriating. I had to interrupt the other.

"Go away!" Taehyung was moving the opposite direction as further as his feet allowed him, all within seconds. A satisfied smirk crept onto my face. "How obedient."

"You realize he didn't do anything?"

"Yet," I told him. "He always insults you, and I don't like that."

"But he doesn't hit me anymore, and he's not—"

"Just accept me as your savior."

It came as a shock to us when the entirety of the school day had passed, and, hard to believe, we survived long enough to walk out the front gates.

An idea popped into my mind, and I put down my bag. "You don't have anything to do right now, do you? Good," I said. My hands searched through my belongings until they caught the wallet. "Look!"

"What's all that money for?"

"My father wanted us to get somewhere nice and celebrate together," I explained. "New school year, we're finally reunited... It'll be fun! I heard there's a high-quality restaurant nearby, and I can take you there."

Robert raised his eyebrow, holding in a cackle. "Is that a date?"

"He'd wish!" I scoffed, swinging the bag back over my shoulder. "It won't happen, though I'm not giving up on the cash."

"Yeah, it would be such a waste," he said with a laugh. "Let's leave the bags at my place and go get something delicious!"

"I knew you wouldn't say no to food."

"You know me well. Oh, and let's not tell my mom where we're heading," Robert added.

"She wouldn't be upset, would she?" I teased.

"Don't joke about it! She'd be happy, that's the problem," he whined. "Too happy."

"Um... Should I even comment?"

I read all comments and votes are highly appreciated. Thank you!