Understanding

Your POV

Nowadays, we meet up a lot more. It's been seven months since we've met and a lot has happened. We're now in a different year in school and we're no longer white belts at the bottom of the class. We've graded in to yellow tags. But the best change so far that I've welcomed the most is that we're now friends. I'm meeting up with him today at his house. When I knock on the door and he opens it, he smiles instantly. Wearing a white shirt today, he's glowing from within. He ushers me inside and all the way up to his bedroom. I can't believe we've gone from being enemies to friends. He's slowly starting to see that girls have a voice too. We help each other with taekwondo and together, we're progressing speedily.

"How are you?", I ask.

"I'm great. Do you want something to eat?", he responds. 

"Yes please.", I answer gratefully. I'm starving.

He goes down and returns quickly with a glass of juice and a packet of cookies.

"Thank you."

"No problem."

We both stuff our faces with food for a while until we lay there, full and feeling heavy.

"I never asked,", Jungkook started.

"What?"

"How old are you?"

"Oh, I'm five."

"When's your birthday?"

"It's on the sixth of July.", I say

He suddenly frowns, "But that was last week."

"Yup.", I agree, not understanding where h was going with this.

"But you didn't celebrate it."

Something solid hit me in the head, "Yeah, I didn't."

"Oh I'm so sorry. I didn't realise it had something to do with that.", he apologises hastily.

Jungkook POV

I'm so dumb, I shouldn't have said that with thinking. She must think I'm so inconsiderate. Sometimes I forget that she's poor. I usually sneak some food to her every now and then so she has enough to eat at school and I help her in every way I can but sometimes the realisation catches me off guard.

"It's fine.", she smiles but it doesn't quite reach her eyes.

Deciding I've said quite enough, I get up and open up my bedside drawer. In it, I've saved an assortment of sweets for her. I've been meaning to give it to her on her birthday, "Here, this if for you."

She looks up at the contents of her gifts in my hands, "For what?"

"I was supposed to give it on your birthday.", I explain.

"Thank you.", she takes them and offers me some too.

 We sit and eat some more as we chat about life. I watch her take every sweet wrapper, fold them up in to small cranes and tuck them away in her bag. I wonder why she does that. After a bit, we go out to the garden and play football. That's when an ugly surprise awaits us. I see Dad at the gate. He's come home from work early today. Panic grips me and I don't know what to do. He smiles seeing me and then his smile turns in to something else, I'm assuming after he sees Y/N.

He storms up to us, "What is this Jungkook?"

I take a deep breath, "This is Y/N."

"Y/N?", he quizzes.

"My friend.", I don't dare to look up. I can sense she's gone silent somewhere besides me as well.

"She's a girl.", he states the obvious.

"I know."

"You know? I know you know that! Is this what you've been up to whilst I've been doing extra hours at work?", he screams.

"I'm sorry ahbuji.", I whisper.

"Sorry's not a good enough word. Get rid of her now.", he orders.

Anger boils up in me as he refers to Y/N as an object, "I can't. I'm sorry but I can't. Please, just get to know her and you'll like her."

"So she's manipulated you already hasn't she? Look up girl.", Dad says.

Unlike me, Y/N's not a coward. She looks him straight in the eye, "Annyeonghaseyo.", yet she seems so polite and chill.

"Ah, you're the girl from taekwondo, aren't you?", he sneers, "It's mothers like yours that are ruining the world. Encouraging their daughters to go out and venture. That is only for boys. And your father? He let's you mother do this. I'd like to meet the man."

Your POV

If he wants to bring my family in to this, then he can.He's the only one blinding himself, "My dad's not here."

"At work?", he questions.

"No.", I say boldly, "He left."

Jung kook's dad begins to cackle, "I can see why. Your mother really must be a pain in the back."

As much as I want to try out a few of my new kicks on him, I stop myself. He's Jungkook's dad and I won't disrespect him. Unlike his parents, my mum taught me politeness. 

"I won't forget this Jungkook.", his dad says before he coldly leaves.

There's a tear building up at the corner of Jugkook's eye, "I'm sorry. He's so mean."

"It's fine. I understand.", I mutter.

"Thank you Y/N. Know that I will never ever stop being your friend no matter what other people say.", he reassures.

And I can't help but smile and cry at the same time.