23

The week blurred past in a river of worry. I did NOT want to see my parents. Well... I didn't want to see my mom, even though I knew that sooner or later I'd have to.

Before I knew it me and Jan were cleaning up our dorm in preparation for them coming. Jan had heard all my stories about my mother and I could tell she was on edge. I felt the same, even after living with them for most of my life i still found myself worrying. Damn... I wish my mom was like Jan's.

"Are you ok, Crys?" Jan asked as I sat down with a sigh.

"I'm fine, just nervous I guess? I don't know..." I groaned, burying my face in my hands. "I'm worried something will happen and they'll find out about Gigi or something like that."

Jan shook her head.

"They won't" she reassured me. "Didn't you say Gigi was at her mom's for the weekend?"

"Yes but-" I started before Jan made an aggressive hand gesture to shut me up.

"There's no other way they're going to find out unless you tell them, Crys. It's all gonna be ok!" She said, smiling her usual peppy smile.

I shook my head but I couldn't help but smile with her, Jan tends to have that effect on people.

The smile didn't last long though as all of a sudden there was a soft knock at the door.

"Shit shit shit I think it's them" I said, scrambling to get up, quickly straightening out my bed since it was the only thing left that I actually COULD straighten out, before opening the door.

"Crystal! How are you baby?" My Dad said, pulling me into a hug immediately after I opened the door.

"I'm good! It's nice to see you! Come in!" I said.

"Hello, Crystal." My Mom said, glancing in my direction before craning her head to look inside the dorm. I awkwardly scooted behind the door and gestured for them to come in.

Jan immediately jumped up and held out a hand to each of them.

"Hi Mr. and Mrs. Methyd! I'm Janice, Crystals roommate!" She said, smiling.

My Dad smiled back, shaking her hand.

"I think we met briefly on the first day,it's nice to formally meet you though!" He said, still smiling.

My mom simply nodded at her, shaking her hand quickly before pulling back and "subtlety" wiping her hand on her neat pencil skirt.

Jan awkwardly looked at me as silence took over. We all just stood there for a few seconds in an awkward silence before my Dad thankfully broke it.

"Why don't you give us a tour, Crystal? It'll have to be quick though because we have a surprise for you later." My Dad said, rubbing his hands together and smiling. My mom simply scoffed.

"Sure!" I say. "Let's go!"

We walked out of the dorm room and down through campus as I talked to my parents about my classes and my friends and they told me about how their jobs were back home. Before long my dad was checking his watch and telling us that we had to go to the entrance of the dorm building, as he had a surprise.

Confusion washed over me as we turned around and walked back towards the dorm building. I was even more confused when I saw that there was nothing there when I got back.

"Dad? What's the surpri-" I tried to say when suddenly I heard shout.

I whipped my head around and barely had time to react before a pink haired girl tackled me into a hug, followed by two other girls.

"We missed you... surprisingly" the pink haired girl said.

I laughed and hugged them all back.

I didn't realize just how much I'd missed my 3 best friends
——————————————————
Just a warning that everything ISNT going to be all sunshine and rainbows forever... so make the most of it :)

- J