Chapter 26

You held (d/n) in you left arm as you used your right arm as a crutch for Gabriel. He tried to tell you he could walk fine on his own but after he almost fell you didn't give him the option. You finally made it back to your apartment, stumbling through the doorway. You had gotten lots of confused looks and concerns from your neighbors but you waved them off.
You shut the door behind you and set your sleeping baby on the couch before cuddling her up in her blankets. Then going to the kitchen and grabbing a wet rag and some other things to get the bullet out of his leg. By this time he had made his way over to the chair and sat down. He sighed in relief to finally take all the pressure of his leg. You placed yourself on the floor and slid up his pant leg.
"This is going to hurt" you said, then taking the tweezers you reached in and grabbed the bullet.
He clenched his fist to the point of white knuckles. You could tell he was trying hard to not say or do anything else. Made sense you where sure it hurt like hell.
"Almost done" you said as you took some alcohol and poured it on the wound.
"Mmmmmmm" he groaned through gritted teeth.
Then taking a needle you put some string through it and began to stitch him up. This was the easiest part for him, he had been stitched up so many times that it probably didn't even phase him.
"There, next time don't get shot" you said while walking back I got the kitchen to clean off your hands and put the stuff away. His gaze never came away from (d/n). The look of regret and guilt flooded his eyes.
You made some coffee and handed him some, putting some whiskey in it to help with the pain. You could tell he was stressed but ever since you had (d/n) he stopped smoking. You handed him his coffee and as you where about to sit down you heard a knock on the door. Both you and Gabriel looked at the door as he began to stand up but you stopped him. Getting up you grabbed his gun he had set on the coffee table and made your way to the door. Slowly reaching for the handle and opening the door you looked outside while holding the gun firmly in your hand.
"God Jesse" you said while opening the door for him to come in but then closing it right after.
"I couldn't catch 'em" jesses voice was filled with remorse and hate.
You rubbed his back and handed him a cup before you went to sit down on the couch next to here (d/n) was sleeping. Jesse took a seat in another chair across from the couch.
"What are we goin to do?" Jesse asked
Everyone was quiet, not sure what to say or think.
"I knew they where after overwatch agents but I didn't think they knew where we were" you said while making eye contact with Jesse.
"They shouldn't know" he paused "as far as I knew, you where dead and Gabriel is still in jail until this morning when I saw you run into that apartment, I knew something wasn't right so I went through a side window"
"And thank you for that" you looked back at (d/n) "I don't know if she would be here right now if not for you" you thanked him.
"(Y/n)...how did you survive the explosion?" You explained everything to him about how Gabriel broke out and gladly joined Talon.
You didn't have to say anything about the theory of Gabriel killing Jack because he already knew it was false. Jesse and Gabriel have always been close and a simple rumor wasn't about to change that.
"I'm sorry we didn't tell you where we were" you apologized "but we didn't even know if you where still alive"
"I shouldn't stay long, there's already targets on all our backs and having us all here is just askin for trouble" you nodded in agreement as you took a sip of your coffee.
Gabriel was quiet throughout this whole conversation. You could tell he was thinking about something but you couldn't tell what.
"So this is the newest addition to the Reyes family" Jesse smiled and chuckled before making his way over to (d/n).
"Yes, Jesse this is (d/n) Reyes" you smiled down at your baby, just glad she was safe.
"She's beautiful" Jesse was awed.
"She's good for the most part, she sleeps through the night fairly well too" you remember a few sleepless nights with a fussy baby.
Gabriel finally decided to speak up in the conversation.
"Mcree, how did you know where we are?" His monotone voice thrown off alittle from the gentle voice that you usually hear.
"I didn't, I was making my way through town. I've been traveling since the explosion, haven't found a place to settle" Jesse went back and sat in his chair.
"Have you run into anyone else?" You questioned.
"No"
The room went silent
"So we don't know if anyone else lived?" You asked but you and Gabriel and Jesse already knew the answer to that question.
You felt a pit in your stomach as you remembered all the faces of the agents that no one would ever see again.
"Listen, I need to leave soon before it gets dark. You guys need to watch your backs, you can't trust anyone. I wasn't able to catch that guy so he is still out there, be careful" his accent almost cut out for a second.
"Okay we will, you too though" you stood up and gave him a hug. He said bye to Gabriel and kissed (d/n) on her forehead before making his way to the door.
You closed it behind him after promising you would see eachother once again someday.
You truly wanted that to be the case but life was different now.
You highly doubted you could keep that promise.