Chapter 22

POV Atalanta

I slipped on the cloak Bilbo had given me and walked out with him

"So tell me what Thorin has been doing?..." I whispered to the hobbit who looks majorly sadden and it hurt my heart.

I place my hand on his shoulder as we walk. "I've tried talking to him but he won't listen."

Frowning we turn down the corridor and he continues, "he's been down there for days. He doesn't sleep, he barely eats. He's not been himself. Not at all. It's this place. Ahem."

He coughs looking to the side where stairs led to and I pull him back some that way we weren't in complete view.

"Continue..." I whisper to him and bend down to his level.

"I think a sickness lies on it." Bilbo muttered and I gently take the hobbits hand as I nod to his statement.

"He would kill for the Arkenstone." Bilbo spoke and and I nod again.

I look both ways carefully before bringing Bilbo closer to me. My lips next to his ear.

"During the time of night I want you to sneak out the front and go to the people. Take the Arkenstone with you." I whispered and his eyes widen.

"Why?"

A sad smile over takes my face, "Your right about that sickness. It's what corrupted his grandfather, my brother...." I whispered and he gently squeezes my hand.

"....He has the darkness within him and the only thing to bring him back out....is to make the goodness peak....yet I fear it is to late..." I whisper to him and he shakes his head.

"I'm not giving up hope."

I smiled even more sad at the small hobbit, whose courage was admirable.

"Not under any circumstances are you to give anyone the knowledge of you having the stone. They ask you and you say no." I whispered even lower and he nods.

He bit his lip before looking at me directly.... "Smaug said something to me...." which made me look directly at him with a frown of confusion.

He whispered lowly pulling out the stone which flowed in the darkened area we were in. The stone was beautiful but the sirens song that played with it made me cringe.

It was.....tempting. As was the gold, the darkness whispering in my ear. Tempting me.

Yet the darkness was over powered by my will to stay in the light. I will not let some damn gold stop my free will and control.