Chapter 20: Things Are About to Change

"I-" My dad started. "Son? Is that you..." His voice started to tremble.

Everyone was silent and in shock.

"You know what, I think it's time for everyone to leave y'all.....let's go." Raelyn's cousin said, not knowing what was going on.

Everyone agreed and followed her through the front door.

"Yeah pops...I'm sorry-" He cried as he looked down in shame.

"NIGGA WHAT??" Kam yelled as he began to cry. "Tell me this is some type of joke. This ain't my brother. It's just a look alike. With makeup on. This ain't funny. Them scratches ain't real. Y'all this is NOT AARON!"

I uncontrollably cried as I walked closer towards the front door.

I looked at him then looked back at Kam and my dad.

"That's my brother y'all." I nodded as I sobbed. "Aaron what..what the fuck is wrong with you?" I said in between my cries.

"Uncle Kam look what me and Kj drew-" London said as she ran into the living room. "Why is everybody crying Papa?" She asked my dad.

I didn't know what to think. Or feel. I still don't know if I'm dreaming or not. This shit is not fucking normal. Who fakes their death?!?!

"Get in here." My dad lowly said to Aaron standing outside.

"Who is dat Papa?" London tugged at my dads arm.

"Dad you just gone let this nigga in? How we know this is even him? Cause last time I checked, MY BROTHER IS DEAD!" Kam angrily shouted.

"Daddy..." Kj said.

"Y'all look. I know it's hard to understand and y'all are in shock and in disbelief...and—I don't know. I'm so sorry I lied to y'all. I didn't want to do this but I didn't have a ch-" Aaron said.

The fact that I could hear his voice again...it gave me mixed emotions.

"Wait. So you telling me, after all these years. After all this pain that this WHOLE FAMILY done went through. The grief. You do some fucked up shit like this? You fucking left yo daughter!! She don't know her dad man! She don't even know you! Why-" My dad said as he broke down.

I hadn't seen my dad break down like this in a very long time...

"Who the fuck fakes their death?!?! Why would you do something like that?? Do you know how bad we was fucking hurt, Aaron??" I cried.

The room was silent, filled with cries.

"Where the fuck you been at for the past the 3 and a half years?" Kam said. You could hear the pain in his voice...

Him and Aaron were standing face to face to each other. Kam looked like he could smack the hell out of him right then.

"I been wit Mario and Stretch..."

"Wait wait wait wait a minute. Then what the fuck was the body in the casket? A fucking doll?" My dad said.

"Mario had somebody make a wax figure...he know some Mexican guys in Santa Cruz. We was planning this shit since before I got out of jail. When I started selling drugs, I got caught up wit some bloods and they was questioning me about a whole bunch of shit concerning the neighborhood..I did it to protect y'all! They threatened to kill my family! It was either fake my death and pay them niggas, get jumped in to the  OBF and turn my back on the crips, or turn my back on y'all for some money...I don't know how many times I can say I'm sorry..." Aaron said as he got emotional.

The whole time I didn't even know what to say.

But wait...

"Then what did Jamar have to do with any of this??"

"That was just coincidental...he really think he the reason that Mario...'Killed' me." He said putting air quotes around "killed."

"Papaaaaa! Why you keep ignoring me?? He looks like da picture of my daddy."  London said as she continuously tapped on my dads leg.

We all looked at her. Raelyn picked Kj up.

"Mama don't cwy." Kj said as he wiped his mama's tears and gave her a kiss.

"That is yo daddy, mama." My dad squatted to be face to face with her. "Go say hi." He kissed her on the cheek.

"Him not dead no more? Is he a zombie?" She said as she grabbed onto my dad.

"He was never dead London. He lied to us." Kam said before walking out of the room.

"Babe..." Raelyn tried grabbing him before he walked out, but he moved out of her hold.

"Mommy who is dat" Kj loudly whispered.

"Hey London..." Aaron couldn't even finish his sentence before her started to break down in tears.

He sat on the floor to be face to face with her.

"I'm sorry, baby...I'm so so sorry. I should've been there for you." He muffled into her shirt as he hugged her.

London looked scared.

Aaron pulled away from the hug.

"I'm your daddy. And I love you. I'm sorry for leaving you, okay? I'm so sorry. Daddy been thinking about you ever since you was born, London." He cried. "Okay?"

She just nodded her head.

"You okay tee tee baby?" I asked her as I wiped my face.

Before she could say anything, she started crying.

"Why did you leave me, daddy?" She cried.

Hearing that, my heart broke into pieces.

Raelyn held her face as she tried to hold back tears, my dad was more emotional than I had ever seen, and Adrian even shed a tear himself.

Aaron cried as he hugged her again.

"I didn't want to, baby! I'm sorry! Look at me." He pulled away. "Daddy is so sorry that he left you—all of y'all...and that he lied to y'all. But I needed to protect my family! I love you okay? I love you...so so much...stop crying, London." He said as kissed her forehead.

...

"Ok.." She whimpered.

Aaron picked her up, and she laid her head on his shoulders. I could not stop crying.

"I want y'all to be willing to accept me back into y'alls lives again...I know I did some fucked up shit...but please..." He said as he rocked back and forth with London in his arms.

"Daddy?" London sat her head up.

Aaron slightly smiled at the fact that she called him dad.

"What's up baby"

"Are you leaving again?" She looked at him.

He looked at her, then at my dad.

"No, baby. He ain't leaving you." My dad said.

She smiled at Aaron.

"Hey. You look just like me!" Aaron laughed as him and London smiled at each other.

"No you look just like me!" She chuckled.

It was a real nice sight to see...but I'm still not sure if this a dream or not...

———————————————————————————

Share, comment, and vote!!

How y'all feel about Aaron coming back?

Y'all think Kam overreacted? Or does he have a right to feel how he felt?

Lmk what y'all think!