Chapter 1: Left and Right in the Dark

(A/N:

Disclaimer: This story will contain topics such as: Self-harm, Smoking, Drinking, Illegal Relationships, Suggestive/Mature Romantic Themes, mentions of rape, and Strong Language. If you aren't comfortable with this, please don't read this story.

All of the characters in the story are completely fictional and are not based on real-life people (except for The Strokes themselves, of course). This is an original storyline.

Each of the chapters will have names corresponding to song titles or song lyrics. The title of the song will be given at the very end of the chapter.

I don't know much about technology and stuff in the early 2000s, but I'm doing my research and trying my best. So please don't judge if something is not completely accurate!😛😂

Hope you enjoy it!)

Sophie's POV:

I always wondered what it would be like to live in the United States. Being a 16-year-old Canadian native, I have literally no knowledge about the US and its rules and laws, I just know that I want to go there because it seems cool. One of my friends had the opportunity to travel all around the United States last summer, and I remember that I was completely fascinated by all of the information that she told me. She mentioned New York, specifically, as her most favorite state that she visited. I saw her eyes light up as she mentioned how there was something exciting at every turn, and how the high life/nightlife seemed so cool.

But two main things stuck in my mind that immediately made me sure that I wanted to live, if not at least visit that place:

1) New York is known to be an important and special hub for music. I knew I wanted to major in music in college; I have been immersed in it since I was practically born😂, and there are some great options there.

2) The Strokes.

They are based out of New York. I found my love for them after discovering their debut album, Is This It, when I was 15. There's something about their "garage-rock" sound that just clicked with me instantly. And not to mention, all of the members look so cool...

I wish I was one of the Strokes.

I remember seeing their music video for "Last Nite" on MTV and that's when I had an instant crush on Julian Casablancas. His clothing/fashion style in combination with his growly, semi-aggressive singing just made it 10 times bigger.

I snap out of my thoughts about Julian when people start to get out of their seats and the bell chimes for the flight attendant's announcement. I quickly grab my purse from underneath my seat and my suitcase from above and exit the plane.

I get out my walkman and headphones from my purse and start to listen to the 'Is This It' cassette that was already in there. I smile as I sing the lyrics of the title track in my mind.

Can't you see I'm trying

I don't even like it

I just lied to get to your apartment

Now I'm staying there just for a while

I can't think 'cause I'm just way too tired

You probably might be wondering how I took a flight all by myself?

It started a couple of months ago when I told my parents about the idea of visiting New York. They made a deal with me, saying that if I finished Grade 10 with 95's and above in all of my classes, we would go on a summer trip to New York for a month. Lo and behold, here I am.