18) Intern (Pt. 1)

1.2k words

"Umm excuse me for interrupting," you timidly step towards the director and two others. "Mr. Watts, Serdena wants to meet with you."

"Roger that. Thanks, (Y/N)," Jon smiles as you walk away then turns back to the conversation with Tom and Harrison.

"Who's that? I don't think I've seen her before," asks Tom.

"(Y/N) is an intern, hired her recently," Watts replied. "I've considered hiring her full time. She's good at what she does."

"What was she hired for?" Harrison chimes in.

"Oh, for set design. She was going to be an architect, but thought about it a bit more and applied here."

"Well, she seems like a great fit," stated Harrison before Watts went to go do his job.

~

A few days past, you were standing on the main stage with Serdena and Watts, talking about the plans for the next set change. When done, the three of you dispersed. You went to go drink water.

"Hey there, (Y/N)." A voice calls from behind. You turned as you closed your water bottle.

"Hey, you guys. Great work today," you compliment.

"We wanted to ask if you are free tonight," invited Zendaya.

"I am, but can I ask why?"

"Just for dinner or hang out. Jon told us you arrived here a few days ago," Tom added.

"Sure then."

"We'll come to get you when we're done for today," Harrison commented. He chuckled and you were feeling a little flustered.

Everyone was super kind to you since you got hired as an intern and hoped this was the environment you would be working in in the future.

Harrison has been especially good to you. He was a nice guy just hanging out with after work. You enjoyed his company and to see him smile kept you going. Soon, you started falling for him.

~

"Are you ready to go?" Harrison appeared suddenly behind you.

"Oh!" you jumped back. "You scared me. And yes. Let me go get my stuff."

You walked over to a table to pick up your book bag, slung it over your shoulder, and walked towards everyone else with Harrison.

While walking, all of you decided where to grab a bite. At the restaurant, you all were chatting and drinking at a large table in the corner of the room. You sat diagonally away from Haz, but you couldn't help but glance at him.

The hang out was a nice way for you to get to know everyone. They would ask you a ton of questions about interning and school in general.

Then, Harrison excuses himself to make a phone call. The conversation continues, but you instinctively felt upset that he wasn't around.

A few minutes after his return, a girl shows up. Everyone got excited that she was here. I sat far away from her so it was easy to not be noticed.

Jacob from across the table watched you check your phone but knew you were just trying to avoid eye contact. A notification popped up on your screen.

Heyyyy (Y/N)

Sup Jacob

You look up from your phone, but he continues to text you.

Are you good?

Yeah, why?

You look like you don't want to be here

Haha does it? Just awkward is all

I'm also checking my paper since I'm not doing anything.

At a hangout?

Yes lol

That's Harrison's gf if you didn't know

I don't know her all that well tho

Ohhhhhh that makes sense

LOL alright, I'm gonna stop using my phone.

You and Jacob talked to each other and listened to the others.

"Hey (Y/N)." Harrison's voice reminds you that there were other people here. "You go to the college that's near here right?"

"Yeah," I bluntly replied.

"Ava goes there too!" She smiled at me to be polite. I also returned the greeting. The two continued to ask questions to try and connect the both of us. Harrison was doing his best, but it wasn't really working.

The group would wander along the streets as the sun was about to set. You tried to speak to Harrison or to be included in conversations, but you kept getting cut off.

Tired of just walking behind them, you announced, "Hey guys, I'm going to head home."

"Already?" Jacob asked.

"Yeah, sorry. I'll see you guys later." You quickly walked away in the opposite direction even though your apartment wasn't in that direction.

~

Weeks past, your school-work routine continued, but hanging out became a regular thing as well. You also saw Harrison more often on set because you helped other departments while sets didn't need any extra hands on deck.

Ava started to visit more often to either drop off food or go eat lunch with Harrison. She would often invite the cast members and you, but you often refused to avoid awkward situations and to stay in a quiet room to study. She did it to be polite, but you could tell she wasn't comfortable with you around Harrison.

You could feel the daggering stares into your soul. Her false eyelashes covered all her eye rolls and her looks at you. All of her revealing clothing covered her true feelings toward you. She would also be glued to Harrison's side to make sure to separate you from the group.

You knew this was happening, but it didn't discourage you from hanging out around everyone. You technically had nothing against her and she was being unreasonable. You were close with everyone since you were hired and you hung out with Harrison because you two have a lot in common.

You tried to ignore her. You also still had a job to do. Ava would be around a lot more often. Despite all of your efforts to make everything seem normal, Harrison and Tom caught on.

"Hey (Y/N)! How's it going?" greeted Tom one morning. Harrison walked beside him and waved.

"Good morning you two!" you answered cheerfully. "Going well so far. How are you?"

"Well, we wanted to talk to you about something..." Tom signaled to Harrison to start talking. Harrison and Tom exchanged looks, while you started with confusion.

"Do you need to go somewhere in private? There is no one around," you broke the silence.

"(Y/N), uhh, we just wanted to talk to you about Ava," Harrison finally spoke.

"Is something wrong? Don't tell me you have relationship problems. Just letting you know I'm not good at that stuff. I'm not the best person to talk to about that," you spoke quite fast.

"No no. We're fine, but we just noticed some things-"

"If this is about her disliking me, then I already know," you interrupted. "To be honest, it doesn't bother me. I'm just here to work and hang out with you guys."

The boys gave me a concerned look. You were calm and acted like nothing was wrong.

"Well, we just wanted to tell you about that. We should hang out after work today for fun, just the three of us," suggested Tom.

"That sounds great. I'll catch you guys later!" you answered quickly as someone called for your assistance. The guys said their goodbyes and went back to work. As you walked away, you can hear the clicking of Ava's heels and her voice as she ran to Harrison, despite it being much earlier than when she would normally visit.