24) Who? (Maf! AU 2.1)

1.1k words

Your family was running back and forth in your house, frantically cleaning every nook and cranny. The house was quite large, but it was one. You had no idea what was happening. You silently continued to clean all of the windows and mirrors. You sighed to yourself as everyone is occupied with just cleaning. You didn't mind if the family forgot your birthday, but they wouldn't let you leave at all. You thought about stealing one of the cars to go spend some alone time in a bookstore, but it would be too suspicious since they were especially harsh on your presence.

You worked up the courage to ask your mom to leave for a little. "Mom?" you started. "Can I ask you something?

"If it's about chores, can you tidy the guest bedrooms please?"

"Well, I was going to ask if I could go out... for about an hour?" Your heart was beating. "Since it is my birthday and all." Your voice was softened by the word.

"You have to stay here. And that's final!" your mother said sternly.

"Can you at least tell me what's going on? Is Dad coming home or something? Or Sean? Even Grandpa is in a good mood and dancing... for some reason."

"Don't you remember?" your mother waved the duster in your face. "He's coming!"

"Wait! Which he?!" Your mother walked off quickly before answering your question. You sighed. "I hope it's Sean..."

You walked to the guest bedroom. You did minimal work since the rooms were already clean. Thoughts went through your head about what had happened so far today. It was a weird morning...

"(Y/N)!" Your younger brother called this time. "Mom is looking for you!"

You made your way to the kitchen. She was fixing lunch or something and there was a box on the dining table.

"(Y/N), I have a package for you. Go put it on quickly." Her tone and her words clearly signified that it wasn't a gift, but another chore.

You grabbed the box and opened it in your room. It was a dress and heels. You groaned at the sight of a dress and heels. The confining design made you claustrophobic and the stilts made you uneasy. So in retaliation, you put on an outfit that was more your style, still mimicking the dress in a more business casual way.

You returned to the living room. The entire household was sitting with people you didn't recognize. Your cousins and brother played as the adults chatted. There were two more adults and a boy. Your mother spotted you and rushed over to you without anyone noticing.

"What are you wearing?!" she angrily whispered.

"Who are they?"

"We need to get you out of this right now," she said as she shoves you back to your room. She rips the clothes off and shoves the dress on you. "This is unacceptable."

"Mom!" you yelled at her. "What. Is. Happening?!"

"Do you not remember the contract with the Osterfields?" She furrows her brows. "Maybe you were too young to remember?"

"Maybe I was!"

"Do you know why your father is gone?" Your mother pats your bed to sit beside her. "He works for them. They made a deal: they provided this house and more and our first daughter was to marry their son."

"What?!" You jumped to your feet. "You sold me out?! I can't believe this."

Your mother tried to reason with you as you continued to pace back and forth. "Please, (Y/N). Don't you care about your family? Your father and Sean are with them."

"Fine. I'll just sell my soul so that the rest of my family can live in luxury. The only bright side is the family that I haven't seen in over 15 years may or not be there."

You stormed out of the room.

~

"(Y/N)!" Your mother runs to catch up with you, but she sees you introducing yourself.

"Oh! You have returned. Come sit," you smiled.

"Actually, now that you are here. We will be going now," the woman stands and her voice stands out among the chatter.

"We were just about to serve lunch. Why not stay?"

"It's alright. Thank you, Mrs. (L/N). We'll relay the information to your husband. Have a good day."

The women got up and walked off immediately. The boy lends a hand to you.

~

A long car ride later, you arrived at another mansion that was extremely secluded. You gasped at the size of the house and even more surprised on the inside. The bodyguards on either side of the entrance made you tense.

"You alright there?" The voice spooked you a little.

"Uh, yes. I'm fine. Thank you..." You broke eye contact and stared at the floor.

"Well, can I show you to your room? I'll take you on a tour tomorrow." The boy offered his arm and took you through the halls. "My name is Harrison by the way. I don't think we've met before."

"Yeah, I don't think so. I'm (Y/N), but I think you knew that already." Harrison opened the door to your room. You fathomed at the spacious room for just one person. Even though your home was large, you and Sean still shared a room. After he disappeared one day, you kept everything in its place. But now, it was all your own. Seems very isolated...

"Just letting you know now," you faced him suddenly. "I'm just here for my brother. I didn't hear about the contract or whatever until today. So don't count on anything between us."

"Just don't think about escaping. You might not make it down the road." He suddenly takes your hand, close to his lips. "I think we will get along well, just saying."

He pecked your hand, but you quickly pulled away and shut the door in his face.

"Good night, (Y/N)! I'll see you in the morning."

You could hear his footsteps fade away. As you stand in the middle of the room, you realize that you did not bring anything! You ran to the door and flung it open. It turned out Harrison was right at your door, holding a box.

"Package for you," he said nervously.

"Oh thanks," you grabbed the box from his hands. "Do you have-"

"Check your closet," he said as he was already making his way down the hall once more.

You opened the closet to find it full of clothes that were your size. The bathroom that was connected had everything prepared already. You then opened the box to find some of your belongings and a few things for Sean from home.

You set the box aside and went to bed.