Marriage Headed for Divorce - Part Two

[Marriage Headed for Divorce - Part Two]

Seventeen-year-old Vergil Sparda kept the emotions contained inside tightly as he stepped through the camp set up a short distance away from the dead land in front of him. The field of utter waste laid out in front of him had been created through years of recurring battles, and when Vergil had first stepped out onto this plain, he had hoped that it would be the location of the last battle of the war as well.

But at the moment, his thoughts were the furthest away from war.

"Prince Vergil, will you be attending the training session for the archers..." One of his helpers chased after him with a question that faded away at the recognition that the prince had no intention to stop for anyone.

When Prince Vergil had first appeared at the front lines, he had been viewed at with contempt from the soldiers who had spent almost their whole lives at the front lines. To them, a prince grown up sheltered and coddled in the lofty palace could never be their commander, and they refused to heed his orders. Unfortunately, rebuke was something the First Prince was very used to, and instead of crumbling and breaking like how the soldiers had expected of a prince sent out to die at the front lines, Prince Vergil had carved a name for himself. His cold, calculative, practical and rational decision-making skills were exactly what was required on the front lines in deciding whether to sacrifice the lives of his underlings, or to sacrifice a little bit of position gained.

But that was not to say that the Prince was completely uncaring about his subordinates. A softness that only soldiers could recognize in each other could always be seen in the prince in the way he dealt with his people, and more than a prince, Vergil seemed more like a capable commander instead. His fighting skills had certainly been acknowledged on the battlefield, and his strategic thinking was the second to none.

And of all the things that made the capable Prince Vergil looked soft –and even vulnerable –it was always the piece of letter, sent with in an envelope with a motif of a violet printed on the bottom right hand corner and sealed with wax and the stamp of royalty. Over the months that Vergil spent staying in the campgrounds with his soldiers at the front line, his subordinates had noticed the young man's movement with increasing amusement. Vergil never forgot about Letter Day, the day when the letters meant for everyone staying in the camps near the front lines were delivered. And whenever Vergil received that particular piece of letter, nothing would stop him from reaching his private tent and reading the contents in absolute privacy.

The world could be falling apart, and Vergil would not give it a single care in his bid to read the contents of that letter.

Vergil retreated immediately to his private tent and made sure that the entrance was blocked before dashing to take a seat in his usual chair. There was eagerness in his hands as he tore the letter open, fishing for the piece of handwritten paper and unfolded it with care, feasting his eyes upon the content that he had been waiting for the past month.

My dear husband, it read with a cursive font of a well-educated woman, it has been almost two years since you left for the front lines, and I have been hearing nothing but encouraging news of your continual successes on the battlefield. You must think the worst of me when I say that pride was not the first emotion I feel when I hear news of your success. It is always relief that fills me to the brim first. I am always relieved to hear that you have survived another battle and walked out of another battlefield alive. I constantly wait anxiously for some form of news of you being injured or put in any dangerous situations, but I only hear stories of your success. Please continue to be safe, my husband.

Vergil paused to make sure that he was not smiling stupidly at the letter, taking a deep breath before daring himself to continue scanning through the next paragraphs of the letter.