not in a million years

Jaycee's POV

"No." I remarked simply, crossing my arms stubbornly.

Dylan groaned. "I told you this would be her reaction."

My father sighed. "Come on Jaycee, the Malfoys' have always been good friends of ours."

I choked on absolutely nothing. "Um, since when?"

"Since today, when Lucius Malfoy got moved to my department at the ministry. I want to make a good impression, so the Malfoy family is coming over for dinner." My father stated simply.

"No." I repeated more forcefully. Maybe I was being a bit of a brat, but I was beyond the point of caring at the moment.

"Why are you so against it?" My father questioned incredously. "You're a Hilliker. We're used to having families coming over for fancy dinners' and such all the time...what's different now?"

I pursed my lips shut, looking at the wall behind my father.

Dylan shuffled. "Well...you could say Jaycee and Draco Malfoy don't have the best history with eachother."

My father arched his eyebrows, but I refused to look at him. "Yes?" He prompted.

Dylan glanced at me uneasily.

I sighed and relented, dropping my arms to my side. "I broke Draco Malfoy's nose..." I grumbled.

"What?" My father questioned in shock.

I bit my lip. "He was being...a git...like he always is. You don't understand, he's a terrible person."

I thought my father might reprimand me, but when I looked up, I noticed that his eyes were sparkling with amusement. "No worries...you'll be able to make amends when they come over for dinner...how about you buy him a gift?" My father asked, his lips twitching with a smirk.

"Father—no!" I whined as Dylan burst out in laughter.

He shook his head. "So that's that—you will behave when they come over by the way...and you'll have to learn to get along...we'll probably be seeing a lot more of the Malfoys soon."

I rolled my eyes sarcastically. "Well, that's just great."

*

Despite the constant nagging, complaining and whining throughout the next day in which I told my father that I refused to have dinner with the Malfoys', I somehow still found myself in my room, the next evening, dressed for dinner.

Sulking to myself, I observed my outfit in the mirror. I had not only opted in wearing a dress I knew my father would probably not approve of. It was a deep, burgundy red, and with the matching gold accessories I wore, I accidentally looked like I was wearing Gryffindor colours. All of this was totally a coincidence though, but I didn't bother changing.

I would never purposefully try to ever offend the Malfoys in any way...

After a few more minutes of sulking in my room, I finally slumped out of my bedroom, and headed to the dining room. It must have been an accident that I took the wrong route twice, then finally decided to take the long way down...

When I finally entered the dining room, everyone turned to face me expectantly.  

Dylan was sitting at the end of the table, trying very hard not to laugh at my outfit. My father was just looking at me with an expression of exasperation. Draco Malfoy couldn't stop staring at my dress, and there were two other adults seated at the table that I didn't recognise. It was obvious they were Malfoys' parents judging by the platinum blonde hair, grey eyes and pale skin.