just the beginning

Jaycee's POV

*

Extensive study sessions in the library. Parchment covered in notes scattered across the dormitory. Shared mental breakdowns in the Common Room. Cramming in the Great Hall on the mornings before tests.

The dreaded time of the year had approached rather rapidly and the annual end of year exam stress had certainly taken a toll on the mood of most, putting a damper on the excitement of the rapidly nearing Summer Holidays. That didn't deter me from thinking about them though. After each long day of intense brain utilisation, I would crawl into bed and eagerly imagine the day that I would step back into the gates of the Hilliker manor.

I enjoyed my time at Hogwarts, of course. But, it had been a long year. One that had been mentally draining in so many aspects. I was fully prepared to take a break from it all and spend a few months at a place where drama wasn't lingering around every corner that I approached...

Exams passed as quickly as they came.

Before I knew it, it was the evening of our last day of exams, also the day before the third and final task of the Triwizard Tournament. I was sitting in the Common Room, by the vivid green fireplace with Bella, Dylan, Jordan, Daphne, Blaise and Theo and we were discussing our plans for the Summer.

"Can you believe that Ginny wants to
invite me over to her home...? Like to meet her family...?" Jordan countered exasperatedly, shaking his head.

"Why would that not be believable...?" I questioned wearily. "You've been dating for months."

He rolled his eyes. "I don't want to visit the Weasleys. The Weasleys suck."

Dylan furrowed his eyebrows. "But you're dating a Weasley."

"Yeah, well, besides her, they all suck." Jordan implored with a shrug.

"Have you even met the rest of them?" I asked, cocking my head to the side.

Jordan frowned. "Nope. The plan was to avoid them at all costs. But I can't avoid them if I'm at their bloody house..."

"Well for the record, from firsthand experience, I can say that they don't suck." I countered with a sigh. "They're actually rather lovely, if you can look past their judgment. You just have to plaster on a smile, put on the good guy act, and you'll be fine."

"Good guy act?" Jordan questioned with a laugh, a if it was the most ridiculous notion ever. "I don't know how to do that. Have you even met me?"

I grimaced. "Then I sincerely wish you luck..."

"Hey, you're tight with her twin brothers, aren't you? You should talk to them for me, let them know what a gentleman I am."

"I'm not going to lie." I countered with a cheeky smirky, then my expression sobered. "But, even then, I couldn't do it. I have barely spoken to the twins since...you know...."

Everyone went silent momentarily and my heart ached slightly at the words. I was well over Fred. But, still, I found myself missing the bright prescence of the bubbly redheads from time to time. Then I had to remind myself that I didn't need fake friends in my life...