you snooze you loose

Jaycee's POV:

Over the next few weeks, mine, and the rest of the students time was spent studying for our end of term exams, which were fast approaching. Of course, everybody was stressed, and the amount of our days that was taken up by doing work was alarming. I was beyond grateful that the Winter Holidays were approaching, even if life, at the moment, seemed to be a bottomless pit of study notes, revision sessions in the library and empty ink bottles...

However, one lunch in between classes, some of the fourth years divulged some exciting news.

"A ball?!" Bella questioned rather loudly, out of excitement, earning the attention of many of the other Slytherins that were seated around our group in the Great Hall. "Here, at Hogwarts?"

"Mhmm." Blaise nodded, casually drumming his fingers on the wooden surface of the table. "Mcgonogall was going on about it in Transfiguration, first period."

All of the third years raised their eyebrows in intrigue.

"It's called the Yule Ball." Daphne explained. "Apparently it's a traditional part of the Triwizard tournament, an opportunity for all the wizarding schools to socialise."

Theo spoke, in between mouthfuls of food. "Apparently it's real fucking fancy." He implored, his mouth stuffed with potatoes. "Fancy music, outfits, dates, dancing and all that shit."

Bella squealed ecstatically, peering over at the rest of us. "We have to go." she instantiated, enthusiastically.

From a few seats down the table, Pansy butted in, evidently eavesdropping. "You can't go, bitch." She sneered mockingly. "You're not old enough."

I quirked an eyebrow at the pug while Bella's jaw dropped in outrage. "And what exactly do you mean by that?"

Pansy snickered menacingly. "Fourth years and above, only. That's the rules."

Biting my lip, I turned my head to face Bella who almost looked on the verge of tears over this seemingly tragic news.

Daphne interrupted hastily. "There's a way around the rule." She implored to the distraught brunette. "If somebody over third year asks you to be their date, then you're able to attend."

Bella released a deep breath. "Oh—thank Merlins!" she sighed dramatically.

Astoria and I exchanged weary glances.

"Oh, Cassius!" Bella called, and Warrington turned his head towards us, from down the table where he was sitting with the rest of his irritating friends. "If you take me to the Yule ball, I'll double book our snogging dates for the next month!"

I quite literally choked on my pumpkin juice while Blaise, Theo, Jordan and Dylan began snickering. Astoria pat me on the back as I began to
cough.

Cassius's smirk heightened. "Hell, yeah, babe. As long as you wear something sexy and tight!" He called back.

"What the f—" I began in disgust and befuddlement, in between coughs.

"Of course!" Bella called back with a huge grin. The moment he turned away, her expression drooped into one of pure irritation. "Hate that dick..." she breathed dramatically.

"You hate him?!" Theo questioned in bemusement. "Bletchley, you just asked him to the ball..."

Bella rolled her eyes. "Merlins, Nott, you are one stupid bloke. I'm obviously not going to hang around with Cassius at the ball. I'll be dancing with all the Durmstrang hotties."