Flight of Alora: Part 2

Alora ran from Onicent through the forest. She ran until she reached the edge of the bed, then she plunged her hands in begging Dauntice to hear her. Dauntice appeared below her and surfaced. He was surprised to see his tear stricken sister again, so soon after he had left her with Onicent. He asked her what was the matter, and she explained Onicent's attack and her flight. Dauntice was disturbed by this knowledge, he had known his brother to be arrogant, but to attack a protected guest. He was unable to speak words to his brother's actions.

He offered to shelter Alora, but she was distrustful, she wanted to return to her mother in the void. Dauntice explained that she needed to find the deepest cave and there she would be able to contact the old goddess. He offered to show her the way and she reluctantly agreed, but he saw she kept her distance from him. He showed her to the mouth of the cave and gave her careful instructions, she thanked him and left. Dauntice dove back into the lake, feeling slightly horrified.

Alors wandered below the surface for days despite her brothers clear instructions, many times she resigned to sinking into tears. She knew that she was with child. At long last she found the cave, for inside were three blocks grown over with grass, she sunk to her knees at the edge of the lava.

"Mother," she cried.

From deep below her she heard a yawning voice.

"My dear sweet daughter what has become of you?"

Alora tearfully explained her situation, and pleaded for her mother's aid.

"Your child cannot be born here in the void, nor is it safe anywhere in the overworld where Onicent may find you."

"Where do I go mother?"

The old goddess thought carefully and told her daughter to lean over the lava and allow her tears to fall into it. When Alora did this suddenly deep purple blocks appeared on the surface, she carefully collected them.

"Use them once the child is born, you must create a frame and strike it with flint and steel, then you may return to the overworld. But now follow the tunnels to the portal that remind you of the void, your older brother Maiguh lives there with his daughters, they will be happy to help you hide from Onicent."

Alora thanked her mother but before she left she got one more piece of advice. "Tell no one the child belongs to Onicent, he must not know of them."

Alora followed the tunnels until she reached a portal, inside were glittering stars. She walked to the edge and peered in, knowing that she would be safe she stepped in. 

Maiguh had gotten word shortly before from his mother to expect the young girl. Him and his daughters received her warmly, but she did not tell them the entire tale, careful to heed her mothers advice. Dinetee, Endra and Nevlin helped Alora settle into the small castle that Maiguh had built for them to live in. They could tell she was deeply troubled but dared not press on matters, which she was thankful for. Feeling warm and safe at last she surrendered to a deep sleep.

Back in the overworld the lava pool spit and bubbled as something formed.