Epis's Return

Epis reentered the overworld and took a deep breath of the sweet air. It was sunny and cool and he was standing far out in a forest of trees with no one in sight. Vaguely he wondered how far away his home was, but had little desire to go there. He knew he should, his mother would worry and so would his twin sister. He longed to see his daughters as well.

So Epis wandered somewhat aimlessly, finally he tired out and decided to rest with his feet in a stream. He was staring at the sky when quite suddenly he was pulled in. His scream was muffled by the water, and out of his mouth poured a stream of bubbles. 

Playfully two creatures circled him, he recognized his cousins. Syrona was holding his foot.

"Don't let him get away from us," she told her brother, "father told us that."

"We looked all over the entire overworld," Sourlont complained, "then we find him here so close to home. What has he been doing all this time?"

Syrona hissed slightly at her brother. "How should I know, father wants him home."

Epis tried to swim away but the two gripped him more firmly. Finally he let out the last of his breath and was surprised to find he could breath here too.

"Could you let go please," he asked somewhat weakly.

They shook their heads, cackling and hissing at each other.

"Shall we tow him?" Syrona asked.

Together the two pulled Epis through the water, who miserably allowed them too. He hardly kept his eyes open, but when he was he was looking at the sea floor, the last place he saw his young son.

The twins pulled him into a massive castle. Then not quite so gently they deposited him onto the floor. He stood up on his feet.

"Father! We found him! Mother!" Syrona called out loudly enough the dolphins fled.

This made Epis want to disappear even more. He hunched his shoulders and stared at the floor.

Dauntice came running. "Epis," he greeted, "I can see my little monsters found you." He was speaking overly brightly, but Epis detected that this was for his benefit. "Your mother is here." He told Epis and lead him down the hall. They entered a room that Epis was surprised to see contained thrones in a semi circle, just like on Mount Minecraftia.

"Epis! My son!" Airabella cried. "I was fearful for you." She said, she engulfed Epis in a hug and let him collapse against her. "Wherever have you been!" She said somewhat sharply.

Epis shrugged slightly, he was very tired at this point. "My daughters?" he asked.

"Father!" He heard a voice cry, Hermyra walked to him with a smile on her face. 

He patted her head when she came over and then allowed her to lead him to his seat.

Dauntice sat down beside Airabella, the others gathered too. Serse and Neonee sat together, Farren stood beside Dauntice holding onto a small boy. Lyris smiled at Epis. Iyora and his sister stood in one corner together. Enisia glanced his way every so often. Alora sat on her own a stern look on her face. Amos and Ilo were missing, as was Onicent. But what struck Epis most was the absence of Sonnis, Ianin and his little sister Rissa.

"I suppose we need to tell Epis of the recent happenings, and why we gather here." Dauntice started, the others fell silent.

"Are you sure," Airabella said, "it would be better to let him rest. We shouldn't burden him more, not after his..." She stopped.

Epis was nearly ready to surrender to his mother, but then he caught Farren's expression, somewhere in it was unspeakable grief.

"No," he found himself saying, "tell me the happenings."

And so the story was unfolded before him.