The forest

Amos and Sonnis were walking through the forest back to the palace. The night was still strong but Sonnis carried a torch to lead their way.

After a long pause, "I didn't need your help." Sonnis said quickly but she put a strong edge in her voice, she and Amos were walking closely together. Sonnis had refused to take Amos's outstretched hand. But he still stuck close to her side, even when she veered away.

"He was looking at you," Amos growled. "He wanted to take you with him."

"That was the point, kelp head." Sonnis snapped back. "They needed to take the gift. I would have been fine!" Sonnis was lying a bit, she hadn't expected to be grabbed, she saw Amos's hand twitch to his sword. Anger pulsed off him.

"No one gets to look at you that way." He said quietly.

 Sonnis let off a small laugh. "I'm not going to be the next Airabella. If you think you can get a wife like your father did, then look somewhere else. I'm not going to marry you ever." The magic that had made her look human melted off her skin, now she glowed with power.

Amos should have felt like backing off. He should have listened to his cousins words. But she was so radiant he swore he'd never love anyone else.

Something hit Sonnis from behind. She fell forward toward the ground, but Amos caught her with an arm, he let her dangle there for a moment, feeling her weight in his arms. Sonnis expected him to lash out at her, she had no idea that he hadn't been the one to hit her. But instead he lifted her to her feet. She slapped his hand away when he reached to brush her off. Smartly she straightened her own skirt.

Then Sonnis saw something. She turned around and saw a girl. She had fallen backwards onto her hands and sat there in the grass staring at them. At first Sonnis thought she was a young child, for the girl was so delicate and spindly. Her face was small and heart shaped. But something else struck Sonnis even more deeply, the girls colour. She was a light shade of green, Sonnis's mind was quick to match the colours, and a hand went to her mouth. This girl was Onnicent's daughter but also belonged to someone else, someone who was not Airabella, and Sonnis had a good guess. Amos looked at her too. "You're not my sister." He said rather plainly, she shrunk down in his presence. 

"Your Sonnis and Amos." She said quickly. She got up to her feet and Sonnis saw they were the same height, but the girl was clearly a pure goddess, no human was in her.

Sonnis was about to ask a question, but a gold glow enveloped the girl. She froze with fear on her face and then she was gone.

Amos was frozen in shock. Sonnis didn't feel like any more company from him, so she took off running to her mother and father. Dauntice would be angry.