The Ender

Come to the End was the saddest Ender ever to be. Maiguh instantly saw how the others avoided this spirit. So, Maiguh was drawn to it and discovered it to be that of a woman in terrible mourning. She repeated 'my son, my son' over and over in a chant like way. 

"What has caused this?" Maiguh asked her gently. 

The spirit seemed to tread closer and closer to Maiguh, and doing something unusual he reached out and touched the Ender. The Ender's image flickered and instead stood before him a semi translucent woman. She was young and looked slightly deer like. Death had caught her by surprise. Her face shimmered as if she wished to be crying.

"My son..." she whispered, "gone. My fault, my fault." She took this as a new chant. 

My son, my son, my fault, my fault.

Maiguh watched as her life replayed to him. She had been a normal child with two loving parents. He watched as she toddler then walked on her own. She played with others and most of all she sang. Even in death Maiguh knew she had real power in her voice. He expected this normalcy to carry through, but instead he got something strange.

As she walked through the plains nearby suddenly the memory went to black. It stayed strange until suddenly it came back. She was in a house with her parents nearby, now older humans. But someone else was there.

Maiguh recognized Epis.

The next chapter of the humans life was quite happy. Maiguh watched as the human had a daughter then another. He saw she'd loved them with all her heart and soul. He watched as resentment tinged her love with Epis slightly, her growing fears with the girls. 

Then at last the birth of a son.

Her love for her children was deep. But Maiguh knew that this would end. He saw Epis return and the human make demands and Epis relent. Maiguh was wondering how her death had come about, then something odd happened again.

"My memory, I do not understand." The woman murmured.

Everything was darker now, like the colour had been sucked out of the her vision. Just on the edge Maiguh saw a figure retreating, but not on foot, but on massive wings.

The rest of the memory played out in horror. Epis returning to the cottage, a fight. Then the woman took off running, the little boy in her arms. The spirit wavered with anguish. Maiguh watched them run and run uphill, then along a cliff. The boy reached up for his mothers face, and in that instant it seemed she lost her balanced. She plummeted down and down, as she fell she twisted her body so that she took the impact. Then blackness.

"I looked for him." She said, "but I could not see."

Indeed Maiguh could see nothing either. 

The spirit moved out of the water and briefly watched as Epis pulled her body out of the water, but came back without the child. Then as her body dissolved the memories stopped.

Maiguh stared into her eyes. "My son.." she said again.

Maiguh let go of her, and she turned back into an Ender. He searched but found no boy that was new.