We Own The Night

Boys X Reader

The late afternoon shines on her pale complexion.

She expects to feel a burn but the heat feels human for the first time in years. Was she finally mortal again?

Citizens give her strange expressions. Little boys tease her about dressing like a vampire in their nightmares. Little girls stare in awe at her marvellous steampunk inspired outfit, wanting to be just like her. She even handed a girl decades younger than her a blade and the mother tossed her century-year-old knife into the trash.

Toward the evening she wandered into Max's video store, completely amused by the little people trapped in a box. They were like nothing from her time.

An older man with graying hair approaches her. "What may I interest you in today? Fantasy, crime or action? You look a Wild West gal!" He exclaims. "I'm sure you'll find this to fit what you're looking for." He hands her Indiana Jones, Raiders of the Lost Ark and she examines the cover.
She tosses them back at him and he scratches his chin, confused by her reaction.

"You need to free those people. They're getting murdered by a masked killing machine. Can't you see?" She scrabbles at the screen, hoping to free the characters.

"Excuse me?" He asks.

"You've trapped them, warlock."

"You don't understand." He reaches for the remote beside her and pauses the movie. "This is a television. It's a box with moving pictures. The people, they're characters."

"Tv." She mumbles. "I wish they had these back in my time."

"Are you searching for work or just wasting time?"

"Work." She finishes quickly. "Yes. I'll work."

"Great. I'm max, your boss." He shakes her hand. "Let's go to the back and sign papers."

Before max can sneak her off to his office for his sinful ideas, four night owls casually gather in front of the bright booth. Their pecking order tells her a lot about them.

She ignores Max's attempt and instead approaches the boys.

"Welcome to..Max's Video Store." She reads off the sign. "I'm Aphrodite. Anything I can help you find?"

"How bout the way to your heart?" The leader snips, eyeing her with a dark look in his orbs.

"If I was still in the 1930s, I'd slap you."

"She's a strange one, alright."