Mind Tricks

Police sirens blared outside and Calissa woke up in a harsh, heart-killer sweat. Smoke curled around her and she pressed into the pillows. There's no way this one was her fault. The memories of being tortured by the Boys plagued her with nightmares. And even then she never lost control.

This fire was different. The flames licked at her sheets and skin, but it didn't burn. Her human skin was protected by a thick layer of red and black dragon scales.

"Is there anyone in here?" Someone yelled from the first floor.

"Yes!" Calissa shouted, immediately regretting it as she inhaled smoke. "I'm up here."

"The stairs are wrecked. Can you find a way down?"

"I think so," Calissa saw the world through her dragon eyes. The hallway was filled with smoke, but the flames were slowly disappearing. And manic laugher echoed through the building. "Why are you doing this?"

"Clearly the death of family makes you tick." Marko's voice echos in the hallway. "Maybe now you'll regret leaving us."

"Actually, you've done me a favor." Calissa says, letting her true colors show. "I tried to protect my father. He's not the enemy here."

"So Paul just killed your father in his sleep for nothing?" Marko growls.

"He was getting in my way." Calissa pulls her nightie up halfway to reveal a mark that forever changed her life. "I'm in a gang, we just don't kill and maim like you guys." She sprouts a pair of wings and flaps away the smoke. "My father....he was a con artist who did business with bad people, including an ex-cop who was also a third degree murderer. He made a deal with the guy who has been watching you and your gang. He'd been ordered to kill you."

"That's why he got you included." Marko sighs.

"No. That's why he got those little delinquents involved." 'And Star', she wanted to add. "My plan was to get the prey to kill the predator. And that's exactly what you did, so thanks. Now stop with the mind games and let me help these people out before the mansion collapses."

"David and the others already took care of them. And your father's body is in his bedroom. Can you get out  alright?"

Calissa picks up a bag she hid in the hallway and hikes it over her shoulder. "There's a balcony right here. I'll be fine." She smiles. "What about you?"

"I'll be just dandy." Marko returns the favor. "I won't tell the others what happened here, if you come to live with us."

"If you can bear me for awhile." She laughs, ignoring the fact they'd previously tortured her for answers. "And if you can stand the fact that I have a rather strange, disgusting diet."

"We can talk about it later. Right now, we gotta get out of here." Marko shoves her to the edge and together she takes flight with him.