Chapter | 21√

“Make sure you take your painkillers and come every evening for physical therapy,” Nurse Anya repeated for like the fifth time.

Nadia who was seated on the bed nodded her head. The shoulder which was now placed in a sling no longer hurts but there was still a dull throb

She had asked nurse Anya about her friends when she woke up. Nurse Anya had said they had come to check up on her earlier that day when she was still asleep, but they left in order not to disturb her.

Nurse Anya continued, “Try to get as much rest as possible, though I doubt you would adhere to that. You seem to be defiling my orders anytime I give you one.” she gave Nadia a pointed look while Nadia returned it with a sheepish one.

“Can I go now?” Nadia whined, she was tired of inhaling antiseptic and she wanted to be with her friends.

Nurse Anya smiled. “Yes, you can go.”

“Finally!” Nadia exclaimed happily then swung her feet over the bed and stood up.

She walked to the door after telling the nurse goodbye.

“Remember to rest!” Nurse Anya called after her just as she slipped out of the door.

Nadia was able to find Faryal, Mia, and Joanne at Faryal's locker. She greeted them and they greeted her back. She looked them over for any signs of bruises.

Joanne left cheek was swollen and she had a few scratches on her arms but that was it while Mia had a black eye along with a cut on her eyebrow and lip. Nadia couldn't spot any injuries on Faryal but she couldn't be too sure, there might be some under her uniform.

The students were given a week to recover and rest then classes will commence.

“Where are the others?” Nadia enquired.

“Makena is in her dorm, resting,” Joanne replied. “Ahryan is probably with his friend.”

“How's your shoulder?” Faryal asked, concerned.

Nadia shrugged her good shoulder. “it's Better.”

“I'm sorry about my cousin,” Faryal gave an apologetic smile. “Ahryan can be quite,” she struggled to find the right word, “impulsive.”

“It's fine,” Nadia smiled, reassuringly.

“OH MY GOD!” Joanne screeched causing the other three to turn to her.

“What?” the three asked, startled.

“The presents have been delivered!”

Nadia was confused. “Huh?”

“Look!” she pointed behind Nadia.

Nadia swiveled around and saw a group of students gathered around a boy who had an unwrapped box in his hand. There was a silver medal in his hand and he was grinning proudly as his friends patted him on his back.

“Let's go!” Joanne exclaimed gaining Nadia's attention. She grabbed Nadia's hand and drew her forward, making Nadia stumble but she quickly composed herself.

They both waved their friends goodbye and walked off.

“Where are we going exactly?” Nadia finally asked.

“To the dorm, duh. Your group won, and your gift is always delivered to the dorm.”

“Did you win?”

“Nope,” Joanne replied but she wasn't sad about it. “Don't talk to Freya.”

“Why,” Nadia asked with knitted eyebrows.

“Her group lost and she's probably grumpy about it.”

They finally arrived at their dorm room. Nadia was filled with anticipation as they walked into the room. Both girls stopped dead in their tracks when they noticed Freya seated on the floor beside an open box.

Pages of books were strewn about the room and Freya had a medal in her right hand that was blazing with fire. Freya looked up at the two girls, her eyes red with anger or tears. Nadia couldn't tell and she didn't care to know.

“Is this yours?” Freya asked, her voice void of any emotion. She let go of the medal and it dropped on the floor. She had ruined it.

She stood up from the floor, grabbed the backpack that was beside her, and walked out the door. Nadia was still as she looked at the pages of the book she had been gifted, scratched on the rug.

Joanne looked at her in concern and pity. She was always boiling in anger at what Freya had done. “I'm sorry Na-”

Nadia didn't wait for her to finish, she slowly moved around the room, picking up the pages. She placed all that she had gathered on the bed then she knelt near her medal and picked it up. It was hot but she didn't care. It was the only medal she had ever gotten and probably her last.

Joanne spoke from the other side of the room, “Do you want to report her to the prin-”

“Please leave,” Nadia interrupted in a low voice.

Joanne was shocked but she nodded in understanding. “Okay,” and then she left the room.

As soon as Joanne left, Nadia let the tears flow.

Nadia was in the cafeteria with her friends. Joanne had dragged her here, and her friends had persuaded her to report to the principal but she refused. She didn't want to make the enmity that was slowly forming between them get worse.

“I'll go get my lunch,” she stood up.

Faryal immediately stood up. “Let me help you with that.”

“There's no need, I can handle it.”

“But your shoulder,” she protested.

“It's fine Faryal, I'm not getting much.”

Faryal reluctantly sat back down. Nadia knew Faryal was feeling bad for what Ahryan did and was trying to make things right by helping her. Ahryan had already apologized but she couldn't tell if it were genuine or not.

Nadia got in line and went it was her turn, she grabbed her tray and was about to get her food when someone hit sides with her, pushing her out of the line.

Nadia was shocked but that soon turned to anger when she saw Leia had taken her place and was getting food on her tray. The anger she still felt for Freya combined with the newfound anger for Leia. If she were a cartoon, smoke would be coming out of her ears.

She grabbed a handful of Leia's hair and pulled it hard. Leia shrieked and stumbled back, she reached back and dug her fingers into Nadia's arm, in hopes that Nadia will let her go.

Nadia didn't let go until she was satisfied. She pushed Leia forward and she crashed into Abhay's arms, who immediately steadied her.

The cafeteria was silent as they watched Leia compose herself and self forward, a terrifying scowl on her face. She stepped closer to Nadia until there was barely any space between them.

Leia suddenly smiled throwing Nadia and everyone off, she stepped back and went over to Abhay. She cupped Abhay's face and smiled lovingly at him.

“Abhay darling...” 

Ahryan gagged from where he was seated. “I think I'm going to puke.”

Leia continued, “My scalp is hurting. You said you have nothing to do with them anymore,” she looked over at Nadia's table. “Prove it.”

Nadia frowned and so did Abhay.

“You said you love me.”

Nadia's eyebrows flew up in surprise. Well, that's new.

“She hurt me, you have to hurt her back. Make it painful.”