Chapter | 43√

Bryan was taking a small walk in the woods, enjoying the cool evening breeze when he heard a swooshing sound behind him. Bryan swiveled to the side just in time to avoid a shadow arrow. He scanned the trees and another arrow shot out. He caught this one just inches away from his face.

“What's this nonsense? Show yourself!”

He instantly felt a presence behind him and spun to see a dark-skinned girl with dreadlocks smiling at him. She was dressed in the AntiResistance uniform. He stared at her in question.

“What are you...”

The girl's fist shot out and he gripped it. Her other fist shot out and his other hand caught it. She headbutted him and he let go of her.

Bryan recovered fast enough to block a kick to his head by using his forearm. He grasped her ankle and she used her other leg to strike, hitting the side of his head. He let her go and she flipped in the air, landing on her feet.

Bryan recovered quickly from the hit and glared at her with his now smoky eyes. He was done playing nice. Despite the murderous look on his face, the girl just seemed to grin wider.

Bryan released a series of fireballs through his fist and she dodged them magnificently, spinning and twirling out of the way.

The girl created a shadow whip in her hand and struck. She landed a hit on his arm, tearing through his clothes and drawing blood. When she went for another strike, Bryan caught it and drew her towards him. She landed with her back against his chest and went snaked an arm around his neck. Gazing into his eyes with her kohl-rimmed ones, she tilted her head, she landed a slight kiss on the side of his lips.

Wide-eyed, Bryan pushed her away from him. She spun around to face him and he sent a kick to her chest, sending her flying backwards. Black wings busted out her back and flapped widely trying to gain balanced. When she landed on her feet, she came running towards him at an alarming speed but Bryan was ready for her.

They collided. The girl sent punches toward Bryan but he blocked them with his fists and forearms. He grabbed one of her arms and flung her over her head, just as she was about to hit the ground, she disappeared leaving smoke behind.

Bryan opened his demonic senses trying to pinpoint her exact location. He knew she was still around but, “Where exactly are you?” he muttered.

He felt a presence behind him and swiveled around only to have the girl take him by surprise by tackling him to the ground. She ended up straddling him and he quickly reversed the position, pinning her arms to avoid her head.

The girl stunned Bryan by letting out a laugh and a for a moment he was enchanted by the sound of it.

“Alright, I yield.” she smiled playfully. When he didn't move, she added, “Or we can stay like this, either option is nice.”

That sent him scampering off her and he fixed her with a hard gaze. She held out her hand to him and retracted it when he ignored it.

Bryan scowled. “Who are you and most importantly why did you attack me? Is this part of training?”

“Relax I was just testing you.”

“Testing me?”

“I have finally found my male.”

“Are you referring to me?”

“Yes.”

All Bryan could do was stare at her. She was following the old traditions of demons where female demons will test their males in power displays to see if they were worthy of being their mate. “I'm not interested.”