Chapter 21: Come on lets head home

Vero's POV

I stood spraying water in my mouth as Blake, and SJ participated in the scrimmage we were having against the JV team. It was the final day of tryouts, and coach loved scrimmaging on the last day.

I leaned against the wall watching before tossing my water bottle aside and jumping back in for Harper, who was a senior on the team. She clapped my hand as I fell into my spot. Point guard.

Basketball was the one place things made sense to me and I didn't struggle understanding. Strange enough, things clicked for me here. Despite my struggles in the classroom, basketball made sense, nothing confused me here.

I sunk a 3 pointer as coach clapped her hands together signaling the end of the scrimmage. 88-4, poor JV.

I stood next to Blake, as she rested her arm on my shoulder and leaned against me. I rolled my eyes looking at her as she just winked. I shook my head with a chuckle, she's an actual pain.

"Okay guys, good job. Pack up and head out" Coach said short and sweet. With a nod me, Blake and SJ went to where our bags were laying, so we could change shoes, usually we would hang around and bug coach, but we decided today deserved to be over.

The sound of crutches filled the gym and as we looked, we saw Cassandra heading to our coach, to talk to her.

"What's your girlfriend here for?" Blake questioned SJ, who's eyebrows were knit together in confusion as she watched the girl.

"I don't know" she replied, staring at her. When Cassandra finished talking she turned around and slowly but surly made her way to us.

"Hey you" She said to SJ, as she sat on the bleachers next to her.

"What are you doing here?" SJ questioned, her face twisted with confusion.

"Don't sound too excited" Cassandra winked, SJ rolled her eyes with an amused smile as she playfully nudged the girl with her shoulder

"But I needed another extra curricular so I'm now the basketball team manager" Cassandra responded making SJ smile like a doofus.

"Why don't you look at me like that?" Blake teased, I rolled my eyes shoving her playfully.

"B, shut up" I laughed slipping my tennis shoes on and tightening them.

My phone rang in my backpack, in confusion I scrounged around trying to find it. When I did, the person who was calling, was none other than my mother. Who I have not heard from in weeks.

I had still been staying at Blake's because I was safe there, safe from my father. My grades have gone back up, and i'm actually in an environment where I can strive. I wanted nothing to do with my family.

Blakes family has done nothing but help and support me. Her mom helps me with my studies every night, and is patient with me on everything. Anything I need help on, she's there for.

Standing, I slid the answer button and held the phone up to my ear. "Hello?" I questioned as it connected our lines.

"Veronica?" my mom said, her voice laced with worry, fear and weakness. Like she had been crying for days.

"Mom? Why are you calling?" I harshly questioned, it may have been a few weeks but I was still fuming at my parents. They kicked me out because of my happiness.

"Veronica? Your father, he's in the hospital. It's not looking good. And-" My mom said cutting herself off.  She remained silent, unable to put words together and formulate sentences.

"What? What do you mean he's in the hospital?" I quickly questioned, my heart racing with fear.

"Please, just get here, Hampton North Memorial Hospital" she said frantically hanging up the phone. I stood there in silence, letting my arm drop as my girlfriend stood with me.