Chapter 13

Katniss point of view

It'd been two days since the power went out and everyone is hoping it comes back soon. In 12 power used to be a rarity, but since the rebellion President Paylor insisted every district is to get electricity no matter what, thus improving the standard of living for residents if the districts.

So much has happened in the last 2 days. The night the power went off was the most hectic. Effie and Zoe finally moved in with Haymich. He has improved tenfold since Effie and Zoe arrived and there is Deffonatly a spark between them, they are never really seen apart; Annie is staying with us because she can't cope in the dark by herself; Gale and Joanna managed to catch the last train running out of 12 before the entire districts power was shut off, apparently they are going to see what the storm did to Joanna's in 7. Overall it was a hectic night. I think we were all pleased to finally get to sleep.

The next day everyone did nothing.  All of the shops had to remain shut, but Peeta spent the whole day at the bakery trying to see how many mixtures and products could still be salvaged. I went with him and I finally told him about my flashback. It's happened twice more since then. Each time lasting a bit longer. He pulled he in to a long, hard hug and just held me there. When I looked up his eyes were glassy and he just gave me a reassuring look but I could tell he was worried. Nothing from the bakery would last till the power came back on so we spent the rest of the day handing out the still edible goods to the residents of 12.

Yesterday everyone got called to the square outside the old justice building. It still hasn't been rebuilt and it's going to stay that way as a reminder of what we went through to get where we are today. On the stairs in front of it is a plaque to every resident of 12 who never returned, including everyone who was lost in the fire bombings.

I tried to look away whilst we were standing there but I couldn't help it. I spotted Prims plaque , with the little Primrose Peeta painted in the corner. I could feel another flash back coming on when someone started talking. It was one of Paylor's assistants who is stationed in 12. He updates us about the power and informs us that the Capitol will be supplying us with non perishables to eat until the power returns, which should take no longer than a week.

The rest of that day is spent over at Haymich's, tidying the rooms he hasn't entered in years. By the end of the day, the home looked good as new.

So back to today. It's currently about 6pm and the power came on momentarily about 10 minutes ago. It's the first sign of power in 3 days and it has really cheered everyone up. I know know why but it is it sort of reassuring have even the slightest hint of things returning back to normal.

I am laying with my head in Peeta's lap and he is running hus fingers through my hair. Annie went for a walk so we are currently looking after Fin but he is sitting in his playpen using his building blocks as a dummy.  The lights flicker on again for a moment and Peeta and I both look up. The lights start to flicker and they remain like this for about a minute. Then, as quickly as they came on they go off again.  I sigh and lay back down.

About an hour passes. I am now holding Fin in my arms trying to get him to sleep. We just fed hum but as there's no power it's hard to heat up a bottle so we fed hum some of the mush which Annie prepared for him. He ate it quite well but he still won't sleep. Peeta told me to sing to him to try and get him to sleep but I am reluctant to because I haven't sung since the rebellion and I  don't know whether I can face it. Luckily it's that moment Annie decides to return.

-------time lapse----------

Haymich's point of view.

Some parts of the district has had their power returned.  None of the shops have power and neither do any of the victors village homes but almost everywhere else it has returned. Effie and Annie took the children to the meadow so I've got the day to myself, only I've got plans.