Nice

While I struggled to find my keys in my handbag the door adjacent to my apartment was opened so swiftly it startled the boys and myself. Causing the boys to move closer to me and grip their guns as they did so. I give Anastasia a fleeting look before going back to looking for my keys. I know I put them here somewhere. I feel her eyes boring into the side of my head. She clears her throat once. Then twice. This time a bit less subtle. With a sigh I stopped my quest for my keys and turn to face her. She was clearly waiting on me. And who knows how long she had been waiting? It's not like I come here everyday. This time I really get a good look at her. Her hair runs down her back with a few errant hair sticking out in different directions and her eyes are frantic. What strikes me as odd about this picture. She was dressed in a long evening gown and that's all I could say about it. It was just that a gown. Long. Ill fitting. Frumpy and boring.

Sigh... I'll humour her... Just this once because I'm in the mood.

"Anastasia... Don't you look... cute?" It came out as a question instead of a statement as I intended.

Anastasia she deadpanned then looked down at her dress dejected. I sighed. Should I tell her the tag is sticking out?

Then a thought crossed my mind. Maybe it wasn't me that she was waiting for.

"Did you come rushing out because you thought I was with Christian?" I asked with a hint of amusement.

I watched as her face flushed in embarrassment. I snorted.

"So where are you off to?" I asked leaning against my door.

"Not that it is any of your business but I met someone" I brightened a bit when I heard that, "and he invited me to a black tie event where he'll be the guest of honour."

Hmm must be someone important. I thought as I tapped my index finger on my lip.

"And you're going dressed like that?" I asked skeptically.

"Kate has been working late these past few days so I didn't have anyone to help me pick something out." She shrugged.

I sighed once again. So it's Katherine's fault? Take some responsibility and grow up. She isn't my favourite person in the world but she can't hold your hand through everything. I wanted to say but instead I asked, "What time does it start?"

"Seven thirty."

I looked down at my watch. It was just a little past three now. I gauffered.

"You still had time and you were going to wear that?" I said giving her a once over.

"Did you even ask for help at which ever store that you bought this dress from?"

Hopeless.

I took her silence as confirmation that she did not ask for assistance.

"Why'd you pick this one?"

"It was the cheapest," she said raising her head defiantly. "I wouldn't expect you to understand," she retorted.

"You could've just picked a more expensive one if you were going to return it tomorrow, after you were done with it," I said gesturing to her tag that was still attached to the dress.

I watched her turn a darker shade of pink making my smile widen.

So hopeless.

I rolled my eyes. And dug in my bag once more and finally found me keys. I handed them to Sawyer so that he could open my door and do a routine check.

I wait patiently outside as they search my apartment.

Anastasia just stands there gawking at me.