XXVI

My head jolted up when I felt a suddenly felt a dip in the rather smooth ride causing me to wake up.

"Sorry," Din said to me looking back.

"No, it's okay." I spoke while straightening up my back to try and stretch which was frankly impossible with how much stuff that was attached to the speeder. I looked at the side of the speeder to see the child stationed in his compartment. This time he was actually awake. "How much longer do we have?"

"About an hour." I hummed to his response before laying my head back down on his back. "You still tired?"

"Hey, it's not everyday that you move a krayt dragon using the force." I spoke with my head still against his back causing my words to be muffled.

"If you say so."

I shot my head up at his words. "I'm sorry were we fighting the same krayt dragon? Last time I remembered I saved you and the marshal's ass. You're welcome back the way."

"I'm just joking." Din said before turning his head slightly to look over his shoulder. I rested my head back against his back, ignoring his words. I wasn't going to response to Din's teasing, we were far too old to be playing around like kids. It wasn't until Din kicked up the speeder to a higher speed that he had received a response. I tensed up as I wrapped my arms tighter around him to prevent myself from falling off.

"Really?"

"So she does talks."

"I hate you."

"Hmm, yeah sure you do." He responded in lack of concern to my words causing me to smile. I looked ahead of me to see that we were passing between some rocks in the middle of the desert. Next thing I knew the speeder bike we being jerked over causing Din to let go. I tried to tighten my grip that I had on Din, but I was fast enough. I flew in the air before landing on my stomach, I quickly looked up to see a part of the speeder bike coming towards me causing me to roll onto my back and out of the way. I heard the explosion of the the speeder bike before I saw some bounty hunters appear from behind the rocks. We were being ambushed. One of them shot at Din, hitting at his beskar helmet.

"Get the child," one of them yelled to another. I looked to see the smaller being of the four go towards the child. I pulled out my beskar knife before throwing it at the being causing it to laid in its leg. Just as I was about to pull out one of my blasters one of the hunters kicked it out of my hand. Before I was able to stand up the hunter was on top of me with its hands squeezing around my throat. It instantly became hard to breathe causing me to gasp for air. I looked to my right to see that Din was going in hand to hand combat between two of the hunters. With a last effort I grabbed a fist full of sand before throwing it in the beings eyes. Naturally he loosened his grip allowing me roll my hips to the side, pushing him off of me and punching him in the face. Using the force I reached towards my blaster that was kicked away from me, before getting it back in my hands and shooting the being in the head. I looked over at Din to see that he had his hands raised. I turned around me to see the smaller being that I had thrown the knife at earlier now had the knife against the child.

"Wait. Don't hurt the child. If you put one mark on him, there's no place you will be able to hide from us. We can strike a bargain. There's a lot of value in this wreckage. Take your pick. But leave the child." Din said causing the being to look at his options. The being then pointed the knife towards Din gesturing that he wanted his jetpack. Din took off the jetpack before walking forward a couple of steps and putting it down. Once Din had stepped back the being walked towards the jetpack, exchanging it with the child. He said a couple of words in his language before dropping the knife and running off. The child ran towards Din causing him to drop to the child's level to pick him up before asking him if he was okay. The child cooed in response before reaching for me, I took the child out of Din's arm causing him to look towards the being that was running away with his jetpack. Din opened the panel on his wrist before pushing a couple of buttons causing the jetpack to fly up in the sky. The child's head followed the jetpack as it went up followed by the drop of the being's body. I heard the child snort at Din's actions causing Din to look at him. Din shrugged at the child's response causing me to speak.