Chapter 34: You have changed, Tine

"Sure Green. Let's talk. There's a coffee shop right here in the building. Let's go there, shall we?"

Tine's POV

I walked ahead of Green, pacing myself to make sure I was always in a crowded area with him. Making sure I knew exactly where the CCTV cameras were, if anything were o go sideways.

I sat down on an empty table and kept my car keys and office bag on the chair next to me. Green was still smiling at me as he took the chair right in front of me.

"Feels like old times, doesn't it, Tine? Me showing up at your office to surprise you?"

"The last thing I remember is you showing up at my office, yelling at me, calling me names, and getting me fired. So no, this does not feel like old times at all."

"Oh come on, Tine. That happened like one time. And you know in your heart that it was all your fault anyway. I wouldn't have shown up at your office if you hadn't just left home without telling me. It was very immature of you to just stop picking up my calls, you know"

I clenched my jaw. Sarawat was right, some people just don't change. "And was it mature of you to hit me just because I didn't pick up your calls?"

"You wouldn't call me or text me back. I didn't even know where you were for hours. Do you know how worried you made me? You disappointed me and made me angry. I didn't hit you on purpose. It was just my anger making me do things"

"Green, where would I be at 12pm on a weekday? I was obviously at the office. And it wasn't one time. We both know it happened many times."

"You are just making a big deal out of it, Tine"

"I got 10 stitches on my jaw. I was in the hospital for a week. Do you really think it wasn't a big deal?"

"It was just a small punishment for your unruly behaviour and it worked, didn't it? It only brought us closer."

"No, it didn't Green. We were never close, you used your privilege and basically manipulated me into dating you. I never liked you. I never asked you to move in with me. You are an obsessively crazy person who is broken on the inside and I want nothing to do with you anymore."

"But Tine.. you are broken too, remember? That's why we fit together. You can run from me all you want, but you will always end up coming back to me. Tine, you will never find someone who will accept you like I do. The moment they learn how broken you are, they will leave you.

I can help you, Tine. With me by your side, you might even end up becoming an average lawyer because we both know you aren't really made for the law field and you will eventually end up failing anyway."

Green had a smug smile on his face that I had seen all too many times. If he had said this to me a few months ago, I would have probably believed every word Green uttered.

I would have believed I could never run away from him.

I would have believed no one would love me for who I am.

I would have believed I was too broken to ever be repaired.

I would have believed I wasn't even a good lawyer without Green supporting me.

But not now. Not when I had Sarawat by my side. He said he loved me for who I am. He said I could get out of this situation on my own and save myself. He believed I was a good lawyer. And that was enough for me.

So, I summoned up all the strength I had, trying to remember everything Sarawat had told me, and pulled out my lawyer facade.

"Maybe I am too broken to be repaired, Green. Maybe I am not even a good lawyer. But even then, I don't want any part of you in my life. I will never want you and—"