Chapter 17

Hello! Here is the quality sibling content that no one asked for. Enjoy!

-satire_of_saturn

===================================================================================================================================

Sebastian's POV

Sebastian blinked at the ceiling. The past week he'd gone to bed early, but woke up a couple hours later. Lying awake, he got lost in his thoughts.

*Flashback*

"Bastian, come on!" Genevieve called as she raced down the street.

"Vieve! Slow down." Sebastian shouted back as he tried to keep up with his twin. They were six at the time, their parents letting them roam around as they pleased already. They were born in California, but moved to France when they were about seven. Every summer morning, their mom would give them money and they'd race down to the little bakery down the street. The twins sprinted each time, in a hurry for no reason.

Genevieve reached the bakery first, grinning in triumph.

"How do you beat me everytime?" Groaned Sebastian as he caught up.

"Because I'm not racing to win. I'm racing to be a graceful animal." Genevieve said as they walked into the bakery. "Plus, Mom said we had to be home by dinner. We want the maximum amount of water time possible." Every other day in the summer, the twins would go swimming in a small secluded lake. It was basically a pond, but it felt like the ocean when they were little.

"Hey twins!" Greeted Gilligan, the bakery owner. Each morning, the twin asked for two things each. A glass of lemonade, and a croissant. And each morning, he gave them their order as well as two cookies for later, free of charge. What the twins would realize, was Gilligan was kinder than their actual father.

"Hi Gilly!" Genevieve beamed. "The usual, please."

"Coming right up!" The man smiled back.

The pair sat at their usual booth, discussing this and that, without a care in the world. Once Gilligan served the food, the pair wolfed it down, then were given their cookies. They thanked Gilligan, then hurried to the lake.

The twins arrived 7 minutes later, a new record. They quickly stripped off their clothes, (bathing suits underneath) and jumped in the water. At least, Sebastian did. Genevieve always carefully waded into the water after he jumped.

Sebastian would always jump in, but Genevieve liked to swim far out. The pond was only 10 feet deep, but they couldn't touch very far, being young kids. After he jumped in, Sebastian would roam the shallows, looking for anything that might be interesting. Genevieve, on the other hand, would swim out to the very center, where it was deepest. Sebastian was convinced a shark would eat her, but she claimed that was impossible. Nonetheless, Sebastian always watched her from the corner of his eye.

"What time is it, Bastian?" Genevieve called after awhile.

"Lemme check!" Sebastian called back. He walked back to the shore, and tried his hands off with a towel. Next, he rumaged around in Genevieve (and his) leather satchel for what he was looking for. With a triumphant grin, Sebastian produced an old pocket watch.

The pocket watch had once belonged to a man who shared his name- Sebastian Smythe, his grandfather. He had been alive that day, but had passed since. He'd given the watch to Gen hoping she would learn how to keep track of time. Genevieve always got lost in her work, whether it was drawing, writing or a book. It used to be a reminder of punctuality. Now it seemed like foreshadowing by a wannabe writer, odd. The pocket watch was like a ticking clock counting down the seconds until their lives were changed forever. The seconds until her life was ripped away.