Chapter 41

When Grace creaked the door open their prisoner was still unconscious. She breathed out in relief, and turned back to the group. They were standing together at the corner, waiting nervously to see Grace's reaction.
"He's still out," she whispered, "and still tied up,"
Grace poked her head back into the room and then edged her way in. The room they had left him in had been fairly empty, but there were a few wooden boxes and crates still in there, so she had to step over them to get inside.
Kevin came up to the door with a few apples, and handed them to Grace. She set them down on the unconscious man's knees very cautiously. She jerked her hands back and hurriedly made her way to the door. But as she had her back turned a mumbled laugh came from behind her.
She froze and, seeing that Kevin was looking behind her, she slowly looked back at the inventor's son. He was still out.
"Laughing in his sleep?" Kevin said quietly. "Some strange guy,"
Grace made a face and exited the room as silently as she could.
"What happened?" Andy asked when they were a good distance from the room. "Did he wake up?"
"No," Grace answered sternly. "But he probably will soon, if he hasn't by now."
"Maybe we should just take another look at him, just to make sure..." Andy began to take a step to walk back down the corridor to the room, but Grace grabbed her arm.
"I'd prefer if you didn't," she said.
"Come on, what's he gonna do?" She replied, raising one eyebrow. She looked at all the faces - Kevin seemed like he didn't really care what she did, Grace was serious and stiff, and Edward was looking at her with wide eyes, with a pleading look begging her not to get hurt.
"I'll just stick my head in." She said, and went down the corridor.
She was a few steps away from the door when she heard someone behind her. It was her similar-looking friend with the scissors, clinking as he walked, and the floorboards creaking under his boots. He smiled as he came up to her, but it quickly faded away.
"Don't make him angry," he said worriedly.
Andy sighed. She looked down at herself again and then at Edward, and remembered he was only trying to help her. She knew how he blamed himself for everything that had happened, and she couldn't let him think that. "I won't," she said, "I was just going to check on him again. Don't worry, I'm not going to say anything to him." Andy smiled and nudged him with her elbow, he looked down at where she had made contact and looked back up. She wasn't paying attention anymore. He looked back down. It'd been so long since someone had touched him with a loving intent, like just then.
Andy looked down at the locked door and realised she wasn't going to be able to get in. She frowned and then decided to give up, looking back at Edward's scarred face. He thought for a second and then stuck a blade into the lock, opening the door with a loud, long creak. They peered in, and saw the chair in the middle of the room, apples on the floor, and the rope lying loose around the chair. He had vanished. Again.

Thanks for reading.
Don't forget to vote!