Chapter 46

Grace looked back at Kevin with sympathy. They had decided to check all around the outside perimeter of the fence that surrounded the grounds, and this part was particularly overgrown. Kevin was having a hard time keeping up.
Grace slowed her pace until he was walking beside her again, and eventually they came to a less harsh part of the terrain.
"Are you okay?" Grace asked him, putting a hand on his back as he huffed.
"Yeah, I'm fine," He wheezed back. "I'm just old. Too old." He gave a half-hearted smile. Grace figured he was trying to cover up what he was really thinking.
"Well, we'll be back soon, I guess." She said, glancing back at the mansion that stood contrasted against the saturated sky. "We've looked almost everywhere."
They both walked in silence for a few steps, then Grace piped up again.
"Can I ask you about something?" She said, and Kevin raised his eyebrows and grabbed onto a nearby tree for support.
"Sure," He said cautiously, wondering what exactly he was going to have to answer.
"The first time you met Edward," She began, but was interrupted.
"It was so long ago. I was only eleven." He let go of the tree and dusted off his hand. "Let's walk and talk, okay?"
"Right." She replied. "So... what happened?"
"What happened?" He repeated. "What, with these?" He pointed to the scars on his face. "I thought I already explained what happened? Or did I forget?"
"No, you said you almost got ran over, but I just can't imagine Edward... doing that to you. I mean, he wouldn't hurt a fly, let alone a person. Would he?" She stopped at the gate that lead to the mansion, and Kevin stopped behind her. He shifted on his feet and eyed the ground uncomfortably.
"He didn't mean to hurt me, of course. I was an idiot. I didn't even look where I was going, and... Jim's van..." He trailed off.
"Is that the guy who died?" Grace said in a low voice. "Grandma never told me what happened to him, so I just assumed the police..."
Kevin shook his head in a sorrowful way.
"What do you mean?" Grace frowned, and her heart began to beat faster and faster.
"Edward killed Jim." He said bluntly, and it left Grace in complete shock.
"He did?" She said incredulously.
"Yes. And I was one of the reasons it happened. What happened to me made everyone think Edward had a very bad intent, and... to be honest, I never knew he was still alive."
"I never even thought he could..." She breathed in a murmur.
"Kim told me all about it before she died. It was self defence. He was protecting both himself and her."

Thanks for reading.
Don't forget to vote!