Chapter 51

Two Days Later...

Andy and Grace sat opposite each other in the main room of the mansion. Grace had set up a bench there for her to work at, and she had slowly compiled everything she could find that she thought she'd need to remove Andy's scissorhands. There was a box of screwdrivers and spanners, and other mysterious devices neither Andy nor Grace had ever seen before. This was an inventor's old house.
The room was lit by a single desk lamp that Grace had brought up. It shone a strong beam of warm light onto Andy's hands as Grace worked on them.
Edward sat watching them from a few feet away, hands on his lap and eyes as attentive as they could get.
Grace was working on both hands at once, undoing screws and latches all the way up to Andy's elbow.
"These sure are fastened tight," she said in disbelief. Andy smiled in a sad, tired sort of way, but didn't reply.
Grace took out a screw on the right, and Andy felt the scissorhand's grip loosen on her hand. It was like taking off a tight glove and feeling the relief of moving her hand again.
"I think that was it," Andy said, holding her breath. "Do that to the other one."
And Grace did, and the same thing happened. Andy could feel her actual hands.
Grace then undid a series of buckles on both, and they opened like they'd been sliced down the middle, revealing Andy's pale hands inside.
She lifted them out slowly and incredulously. She closed them into fists a few times in front of her, and they were clammy and cold, but she didn't care.
She stood up, and looked at Grace and then Edward. Grace had a huge grin on her face, still holding a screwdriver in her hand, and Edward even had a small smile on his face.
Andy stepped over to Edward and grabbed him by the wrists, pulling him up out of his seat. She put her hands on his shoulders and then around him. He tried desperately to keep his hands away, but they were clamped down at his sides by the embrace. Andy noticed and let go, but then lifted his arms up and over her - this time a two-way hug.
They stood that way for a moment, memories rushing back into Edward's mind - this time he tried to stay in the present. He knew he couldn't go back there, but he did know he could stay here.
Andy's mind was suddenly on her family. She let go of Edward and looked up at him.
Her brother was dead and she had no idea what became of her parents. It hit her like a rock. She needed to see them - she needed them to know she was okay.
"Do you know my parents?" She said to Grace, turning around.
"Ah, no. Not really," She paused. "I'm not exactly the social type."
"Well, I need to find them."
"Oh, we can do that."

Thanks for reading.
Don't forget to vote!