Chapter 39

When Grace came back she was holding something very familiar to Andy and Edward. The detached scissorhand hung limp from her hands, it's blades swinging loosely as she hurried towards them.
"Ah. Scary." Andy said as Grace crouched down beside her again. She gave a quick grin.
"So," she turned to Kevin, and he listened almost too intently. "You need to go down there, show her this, and make up some lie about them being dead and how you're an undercover cop."
Kevin's excitement faltered for a moment, and he shifted uncomfortably. He moaned for a second about his back and then continued. "What if she asks to see my ID or something?"
"I don't know, just make it up!"
Chelsea banged on the gate again and gave another very menacing warning.
"Come on," Andy butt in. "She's going to call the real police if we don't do something quickly."
So Andy, Edward and Grace watched the sprightly old man make his way down the path with a false air of confidence. He was good at this.
Chelsea eyed him suspiciously as he came into her view.
"Who are you?" She snapped, grabbing ahold of one of the gate's rusty bars.
"I'm Officer Holden, and I've been working undercover on the case of the two knife murderers." He replied surprisingly convincingly.
"Officer... Holden," Chelsea repeated unsurely. "You're undercover?" She squinted at him, doubting whether this old frail-looking man had the guts to be a cop.
"That's right," he nodded with a sigh, "and I won't be needing to any more." He held up the scissorhand Grace had given him. "It's all over for those criminals."
"Wha - But how did they die?" She stepped back, startled.
"They tried to escape down the other side of the hill... and tripped on the overgrowth and fell on top of each other. And... well, you know how they were..." he trailed off, hoping that would have convinced her. All he got back was an astonished face.
"And," he began again, "I'm going to need you to leave before the cleanup starts, or you might become a suspect."
At this Chelsea lit up and realised she probably didn't want to be around here. She began to stagger away in shock, and then hurriedly made her way down the road.
Kevin smiled, and as he turned to go back up the hill his body ached and he wished he was still a kid.

Thanks for reading.
Don't forget to vote!