Chapter 48

The rage radiating from Ivan filled the whole room, and made Andy's hair stand on end. Her heart skipped a beat whenever she looked at him, and her scissors twitched nervously in his presence. Edward stood next to her, frozen too. He had a look of pure dread in his eyes, and she really felt for him - especially because of what they had just found out.
Edward was more similar to this abomination than they thought. Not in personality or values, but in biology.
Ivan raised his arm, and they saw a gun in his steady, firmly-clasped hand. It wasn't pointed at either of them, rather, in between them so he could reach either of them with ease if he needed to.
"Finally we're here." Ivan said through gritted teeth. "I thought keeping you alive would teach you a lesson, but obviously I was wrong."
He wiped a hand across his forehead, over his wild eyes. "I think death is a much better option now."
They were all silent, Andy and Edward waiting for him to make his next move. Andy glanced at Edward, and then at the books they had just been reading. One of the books was still open to the summary of the inventor's progress.
Ivan began to stare directly at Edward, and he paused and thought for a second before speaking. Andy could tell there was something wrong on the inside.
"Do you have any idea..." he began, but didn't seem to know where to go from there. "Father... You were his favourite."
Edward's eyes widened slightly, and he swallowed. The hand holding the gun shook as Ivan's grip grew tighter.
"I was just a 'failed prototype.' Another one of his machines. Discarded to make way for you. The better son. For the worst inventor."
Neither of them knew what to say to him. There was nothing to say. So Ivan continued.
"When he died I knew I had to take over. You were going to stay up there forever - and you learnt to never venture down there after the incident." He was talking directly to Edward now, his gaze never wavering and staying focused on the innocent scissorhanded man. Edward stared back, looking more scared than ever.
"I had to keep you up there. You were never the better person - you were never really real - and I was going to keep it that way."
Andy looked over at Edward, and watched him begin to back up slowly to the wall as Ivan took a step closer, still brandishing the gun.
"He is real." Andy said. "And he is the better person."
Ivan's glare locked onto hers and he pointed the gun at her. She could see him becoming more frenzied by the second - and the inventor's words made more and more sense in her mind. Ivan and Edward were complete opposites - no wonder the inventor had tried to discard his first attempt.
"How dare you..." He trailed off. His hand shook even more violently, and he almost staggered forward, pressing them further into the room.
"I am and always will be the superior invention. Father gave me abilities - I am stronger than you in every way."

Thanks for reading.
Don't forget to vote!